McIntosh MCD500

morphsci

Has anyone had a chance to hear the new McIntosh SACD/CD beast yet. I'm pretty sure this uses the new ESS ES9018 chip. It also has SPDIF in so this is certainly a contender for the 2-channel system. Well except for the fact it has a $6500 MSRP and at that price point it better be pretty special.

Has anyone had a chance to hear the new McIntosh SACD/CD beast yet. I'm pretty sure this uses the new ESS ES9018 chip.

Have they updated to the es9018 chip? Last I heard they were still using the older 9008 one, but I did most of my research a few months ago and there was talk of a refresh.

When I was upgrading my office system at work, I briefly considered this as an all in one solution due to it's headphone output, pre-amp capabilities, sacd and, in my opinion, really cool looks. I finally ended up heading in a different direction due mostly to the fact that this massive beast would have drawn too much attention in the workplace.

Edited by raif
grammar and mornings never mix well

i haven't heard it. i've heard a couple of their past players (released in the last couple years), and i wasn't impressed.

It seems digital isn't really McIntosh's strength. The Stereophile measurements of the McIntosh networked audio server were pretty abysmal. It'll be interesting to see if this one is a different story.

i haven't heard it. i've heard a couple of their past players (released in the last couple years), and i wasn't impressed.

Yep, me too. That's why I asked, you know, hope springs eternal, yada yada yada ...

Have they updated to the es9018 chip? Last I heard they were still using the older 9008 one, but I did most of my research a few months ago and there was talk of a refresh.

Not sure if it is using the es9008 or es9018. I did send them an email asking but I doubt they will respond.

It's in this month's Stereophile or TAS or something...

Yep, but it is in Sam's column so no measurements.

As in Tellig? :basement::asshat:

The very one. Hence why I was asking for other opinions.

There are some people that prefer all their equipment match, and will pay hansomely for that. Especially if it has a name people look at and coo over.

I simply make little, matching coats for all my equipment.

ESS Technology Inc. announced that its Sabre Reference eight-channel audio D/A converter (ES9008 ) is incorporated in the new McIntosh Laboratory MCD500 SACD/CD Player, scheduled for availability in Aug.

From businessweek.

Old news. The actual story is from last August. It was rumored after the Sabre32 was announced that the MCD500 may be updated with the new chip and supporting silicon. It is still unclear, at least to me, if the current MCD500's are using the new or old ESS chips.