JH Audio stuffs

atothex

That's why I haven't sent mine back. Not sure I want to be without them. I'll deal with the slight fit issue as it has no effect on SQ.

I've lived with a slight fit issue with my UE-10 for a few years now. It does not affect sound quality. But it incrementally diminishes my enjoyment of the phones because they are just uncomfortable enough.

My unsolicited advice is to get the fit issue resolved sooner rather than later.

I've lived with a slight fit issue with my UE-10 for a few years now. It does not affect sound quality. But it incrementally diminishes my enjoyment of the phones because they are just uncomfortable enough.

My unsolicited advice is to get the fit issue resolved sooner rather than later.

Well, the right monitor feels just a bit small. I may try just applying some clear acrylic nail polish to beef it up a little.

I really, really don't want to send them back.

I have to echo the wise simian's advice. I decided to live with a fit issue on a pair of Sensa's (had returned once for a refit); left ear never as comfortable as the right, and regretted that decision from day 31 when the option ran out. You'll have these for years; get them perfect now.

Has anyone tried these with a B22? Would that be overkill?

(Do NOT read anything into my question!)

I have, it sounds great but my gain is set too high so there is some noise. I think it's more amp than is needed for the JH13 which is why I have a G Lite. So what artwork are you putting on your JH13's?

(Do NOT read anything into my question!)

So what artwork are you putting on your JH13's?

Of course, none of us are thinking that you are teedering on the brink with a question like that; nope, not a bit. Nor is anyone thinking about appropriate artwork for you. Therefore, I also didn't accidently attach:

monkeyx.jpg

I had my impressions taken today. The audiologist looked a bit bewildered when I presented her with the check list from JH Audio. The part about cotton dams in place of foam.

She stepped out of the room and called them to inquire, and I heard her say over the phone that she found this odd, because they had moved away from cotton because it has a tendency to tear/rip ear drums.

She briefly discussed this with the receptionist as well when she asked the audiologist what they said after she hung up, and she told the receptionist "they don't care".

100% conjecture on my part, but I suppose they've run into this question before, and didn't want to contest it?

This may have been covered in the HF thread, but I haven't seen any specific reference to it.

Oh and she also expressed a bit of doubt to me about the request to have me keep my mouth open, she basically said things tend to fit better when it remains closed. Anyone's guess, I suppose.

Anyways, I'm definitely stoked about sending these in regardless.

I think this would be appropriate:

:dinny:

;)

Perfect

Oh and she also expressed a bit of doubt to me about the request to have me keep my mouth open, she basically said things tend to fit better when it remains closed. Anyone's guess, I suppose.

Anyways, I'm definitely stoked about sending these in regardless.

I had my FreQShows done with my mouth closed. They fit fine but when I open my mouth to a certain point, I lose the bass. It's not a problem since my mouth is normally closed to slightly opened when using them. The JH13 were done with mouth opened and do not have the same issue when I open my mouth.

Edited by tyrion

I had my FreQShows done with my mouth closed. They fit fine but when I open my mouth to a certain point, I lose the bass. It's not a problem since my mouth is normally closed to slightly opened when using them. The JH13 were done with mouth opened and do not have the same issue when I open my mouth.

Then I'll definitely need to mold with my mouth open if I ever get custom IEMs. :D

That makes sense. I kept my mouth open too, she was basically like "if thats what they say, then do that". She kind of said they may not be what I was expecting, but it sounds to me like I have a choice of possibly anemic bass or too tight a fit...I want my bass :D

Well, the guy who did the original art is gifted. ;)

Agreed.

And sorry if this has already been covered, but what is the purpose of doing the impressions with mouth open as opposed to closed?

From AudiologyOnline (who knew?):

"Most of the major custom IEM manufacturers make the following recommendations for taking IEM impressions, some of which may differ from typical hearing aid impressions. First, use a 2” bite block to keep the patient’s mouth open while the impression material sets. This is because jaw movement slightly alters the shape of the ear canal. With IEMs, you need to maintain a good seal when your jaw moves into a wide-open position while singing or speaking. Next, it is also beneficial to have the impressions taken as deeply as comfort allows, preferably to the second bend in the ear canal. This increases the hearing protection of the IEM by adding mass between the external stage volume and the eardrum. It also minimizes the occlusion effect by reducing the air volume between the IEM tip and the eardrum."

"This is because jaw movement slightly alters the shape of the ear canal. With IEMs, you need to maintain a good seal when your jaw moves into a wide-open position while singing or speaking."

See, this is the part that I am wondering about. I suspect that most of us are not putting these IEMs through the rigors of a stage performance. So while my jaw may slacken a little, it's never wide open when listening. Do you guys think there may be a "performer" setting and a "monitor" setting?

Flying back to Florida today, I was listening to grawk's tapes of the Smile At Half Mast shows of Gov Mule, and was just asleep enough to really believe I was at the show until I was rudely (okay, not really rudely) awakened by two flight attendants who were hovering over me as I was not responding to their verbal directions and they couldn't see my iems.

Flying back to Florida today, I was listening to grawk's tapes of the Smile At Half Mast shows of Gov Mule, and was just asleep enough to really believe I was at the show until I was rudely (okay, not really rudely) awakened by two flight attendants who were hovering over me as I was not responding to their verbal directions and they couldn't see my iems.

Oooh, I'm attending a Tommy Emmanuel concert myself right now.:D