Are there any tube amplifiers that have the same sound as the Singlepower Extreme

arnesto

I got a chance to listen to the Singlepower Platinum Extreme at CanJam. I liked it compared to other tubed amplifiers because it didn't have that tubey warm colored sound.

I wanted to pick one up used, but I have been reading that Mikhail is MIA and there may be problems with getting it fixed if I ever needed to.

Can someone suggest some comparable amps with a similar sound?

Just a FYI, I listened to the WooAudio3, Cary Exciter, and the Cary 300SEI. I thought all three of these amps sounded to warm and tubey for my taste.

There is no current, commercially available amplifier that uses a similar tube compliment in an OTL topology. Used examples would include the Eddie Current HD300 and Wheatfield HA-2 but I sincerely doubt you'll have much luck finding either and both are really only suitable for high-impedance headphones. At least that's all the comes to mind.

The closest thing really is the Woo WA22 which is still a trafo-coupled design and may not be to your liking.

Part of what makes gives the Extreme the potential to sound good is running the 6080/6AS7 in parallel on the output, OTL's with a single tube are not going to perform well into low ohm loads in my experience. And of course none of them run the output tubes as hard as I do in the Menace. :indra:

And of course none of them run the output tubes as hard as I do in the Menace. :indra:

You should try cranking up the bias till the plates glow and see if it sounds better, 6AS7's aren't that expensive. ;D

Going back to the OP, one amp that comes to mind is the Trafomatic Head One, but it's a transformer output amp not an OTL like the singlepower. Definitely a nice neutral sound and not the warm mushy sound found in many tube amps.

I wonder what would happen if you went to jack at woo audio and told him

you wanted him to build an extreme his way. It sure would be pretty and it

would work forever. Offer to supply the schematic and have him make the

necessary changes to make it reliable. He already knows how to do dc filament

supplies, and high voltage supplies for that kind of thing, should be easy.

If mine ever comes back I'll sell it to you. That aside, will picks of Neil's ES-2 ever be made public?

That is up to neil. But if you ask him real nice i'm absolutely sure he will send

them to you... Major fail with capacitors just hanging there from stickem cable

ties that long since let loose...

Send the amp to me... But really you will never get it back...

Edited by kevin gilmore

I wonder what would happen if you went to jack at woo audio and told him

you wanted him to build an extreme his way. It sure would be pretty and it

would work forever. Offer to supply the schematic and have him make the

necessary changes to make it reliable. He already knows how to do dc filament

supplies, and high voltage supplies for that kind of thing, should be easy.

Where are the shematic ?

BTW, 2 MPX3 to sell on head-fi actually.

I think the MPX3 SE is a better amp than a simple extreme.