Amarra "Mini" -- $395

Hopstretch

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just gave XXHighEnd a shot. Sounds no different than anything else with 16/44 stuff. There's 3 hours I can't get back.

On the flipside, I went ahead on and got dBpoweramp to rip things like the Computer Audiophile CD Ripping Strategy and Methodology thread explains.

Goofin off and happened along Grooveshark and kinda like the features a little better than Last.fm(just playin music from a search, haven't tried the radio yet).

Sounds good and... it's Groovie.

Al, what do you think of the sound of the new version. Is it different than the previous version?

I almost think there might be a bit more detail. The Weiss DAC2, which I think is a bit syrupy/smooth, sounds better with this version than I remember with the previous.

I'll try to give a close listen tomorrow, Jeff. Not sure my listening today could establish much.

• 1 month later...

The guys over at CA seem to think there is some difference and some have gone back to the old version.

I often think about the full version but I do not want to mess with an EQ and I have no way to get more than 24/96 out of the computer so I will also wait to see the quality of the Vinyl thing before I decide.

I seemed to remember there being some difference but as the sonic differences between on and off with Amarra are just minimal in my system any changes are very tiny.

Got 1.1 installed. Still have the random cut outs because SS have to manually register my iLok key at their end, which is kind of a pain and I guess will take a while. But even running in demo mode the general effect is certainly audible and enjoyable. Uses a fairly consistent 480MB of RAM and around 4% of CPU cycles, both of which I can happily spare. :)

I might be idealizing the initial experience and improvement but I think there may have been a slightly better SQ out of the earlier version. Like JP, I have never A/B'd them so it is all memory and conjecture, but Tim Maurutani has spent many hours comparing all aspects of the system and I believe he told me he thinks the earlier one was better and might have recommended sticking with it. In fact, as I type this, I remember he sent me an earlier version to try out. It had less functionality and I just didn't want to go backwards so I never tried it. Splitting hairs is all it is, to my mind.

I'm amazed that Jeff still does not hear a bigger difference in his setup with Amarra off vs. on. I know that for me it is quite clear and it sounds like Stretch has heard the difference so I have to wonder if any settings are screwy. Not tried to sound like too much of a convert/true believer but your gear is resolving and you have good ears, and gotta think it would be more obvious.

Also, is the limitation on 24/96 that you have a ULN-2? I thought the Perfect Wave went all the way, so you should be able to use the ULN-2 as a FireWire converter/interface and send the digital output to the PW for 192/188/176. Maybe the digital output would be limited, but that seems odd to me. I would assume it is just the DAC that is 24/96. What do I know, but it might be worth a shot.

Oh, and Stretch, call the SS office number and see if you catch them. They may well be there today and they could hook you up with the iLok registry. Good luck.

I can certainly tell the difference between on and off, I just don't think it is a huge difference so the difference between two versions of Amarra would have to be pretty small. I happen to think the new version is not as warm sounding. But I might be nuts.

I would say the biggest difference I note with Amarra on is in soundstage width/depth and instrument placement.

I definitely could tell the difference between Amarra and that other Audiophile Engineering mess as I definitely preferred the Amarra.

I would say the biggest difference I note with Amarra on is in soundstage width/depth and instrument placement.

Pretty much echos my own very limited experience to date. Seems to me, listening now and flicking off and on, that the individual instrumental elements just stand out a little more obviously? Took your advice Al and called SS and they got me going. Nice guys.

I used to run the firewire into the ULN-2 and then AES/EBU out to the PWD but I do not believe I ever got anything over 96k.

My X-Mas present should put all these DACs on the FS Forum here shortly and it will be used with USB input so I will definitely be stuck with 24/96 until dCS upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...

It is part of the Junior stack from DCS the Paganini.

I was interested in trying out the DAC and upsampler but couldn't get anyone in NY to loan me a set so I had my little Bro check with Ne Plus in Austin to see if they had a demo set up I could try while I was down there over the Holidays.

Ended up my Brother told the Parents and they went with him and ended up buying the the Upsampler and DAC.

I have only listened to it using USB out of a PC laptop using Foobar in my brothers system but I thought it sounded pretty good.