Audeze LCD-1 just landed!

Icarium

I need to listen more before I make any changes. Also, maybe they will change slightly after some hours.

But there's more to the pads than just the finish, there is also for instance thickness. To me it appears that bass changes if I press the pads against my ears. (or is this my imagination playing tricks?). It could be the way they seal as well as thickness I suppose (if it is not my imagination...)

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THose drivers are capablae of better bass..just probably not in that enclosure..which is why i will be getting a pair of drivers later and putting it in a foster headphone..probably the Pioneer Monitor 10s

For instance I can't listen to a Stax without feeling like my ears are going to bleed because of the treble energy they have.

The other thing with the audeze is that it could really use some experimenting on the damping to sort out the minor issues in the mids and the highs

:blink:

I have yet to experience a Stax with too much treble energy, and I've even heard a Lambda Sig. I hope your minor issues have something to do with there being too much treble for you. And I do like my bass tight and fast.

I have yet to experience a Stax with too much treble energy, and I've even heard a Lambda Sig. I hope your minor issues have something to do with there being too much treble for you. And I do like my bass tight and fast.

I thought I was going to lose my hearing when i tried on the lambda pros with the stock damping that they came with. It was a lot better , but still too much treble energy for my ears after i removed the stock damping and put in a lighter damping material. Better balance overall..the 404 which i heard wasn't too different with respect to treble energy. I hear that the sigs have even higher treble enrgy.

SOmetimes even the AKG K1000s seem to hurt my ears with the treble extension that they have. ESP950 sounds perfect in that regard.

That cable is a giant pile of fail, yikes.

no need to remind me. What worries me more is when you peek through hole where the cable goes, as there doesn't seem to be much if any strain relief, as the housing itself doesn't clamp down on the cable. I haven't opened them up to confirm, but I'm only going to open them up once if you know what I mean.

:horsey:

Well I've got an umbilicle cable that Marc made me and it's gorgeous, so I'm sure he can attend to that. While you're at it Marc, how about using some spray tack to glue some Black speaker cloth behind the grills. That really looks untidy, and I know you're as fussy as I am.

For strain relief maybe some wire ties snugged up tight on the cables ala Fitz?

Well I've got an umbilicle cable that Marc made me and it's gorgeous, so I'm sure he can attend to that. While you're at it Marc, how about using some spray tack to glue some Black speaker cloth behind the grills. That really looks untidy, and I know you're as fussy as I am.

:D

Well, I'm still sticking to my "open once" mantra, but I spy some sort of glue inside that hole that could prove to be annoying.

I thought I was going to lose my hearing when i tried on the lambda pros with the stock damping that they came with. It was a lot better , but still too much treble energy for my ears after i removed the stock damping and put in a lighter damping material. Better balance overall..the 404 which i heard wasn't too different with respect to treble energy. I hear that the sigs have even higher treble enrgy.

SOmetimes even the AKG K1000s seem to hurt my ears with the treble extension that they have. ESP950 sounds perfect in that regard.

The Sigs definitely have more treble than the Pros. I don't think extension is what hurts your ears... at least it shouldn't. I've heard the ESP950 as well and think that it has an acceptable level of treble stock, but wouldn't mind just a smidgen more. I would need a couple hours with it in my own system to figure out exactly what about it I find unnatural sounding, though.

Anyway, DAC, moar impressions, please! And/or modding. And/or pics of the bare driver.:D

Well Marc, everyman's dream is a clear hole, with no road blocks, but that's rarely the case is it? ;)

Clear would be interesting.

Oh crazy.. yeah i don't think that's in mine either.. Hrm but I never shined a light through it or looked closely through the little holes.

Well I have 0 problems with the bass quantity or impact at this point. It could be slightly tighter (Maybe) but quantity wise its probably the most out of all my phones though the AD2000s are probably pretty close probably less in quantity but more in tight.

Extension is equal.

How is the bass compared to the Qualia?

But you are known to like your trebles a little prominent ;) .

All of us have different tastes (and matching gear). So whats perfect for one, is maybe overkill for another.

How is the bass compared to the Qualia?

Way more in quantity.. more body but maybe less tight. The more body might just be the lack of tightness.. It isnt super untight just not as tight as say qualias/ad2k. I just have a better grasp of where a bass note covers, starts and end with the other phones.. but that might just be because there's less to survey.. if that makes any sense?

Way more in quantity.. more body but maybe less tight. The more body might just be the lack of tightness.. It isnt super untight just not as tight as say qualias/ad2k. I just have a better grasp of where a bass note covers, starts and end with the other phones.. but that might just be because there's less to survey.. if that makes any sense?

Makes sense :)

I have material from my ortho modding days I can send back to Danc.

For strain relief maybe some wire ties snugged up tight on the cables ala Fitz?

If anyone is gonna do this, I'd recommend only using standard size 40lb zip ties, not the 18lb mini ones that I use as those can't be tightened enough (without breaking) to use on the outside of a normal cable. Another option would be to desolder the cable and tie a knot in it right at the entry point, but that may not be practical with such a bulky cable.

Unlike some of my other headphones the LCD-1 presents an enjoyable tune from the headamp in the 0404 USB dac.

I'm trying to find some music that it can't keep up with. I've tried a disc of fast, complicated music (Hypermagic Mountain - Lightning Bolt). So far so good.

(by the way, I have sent an email to Sankar about the cables to find out if there is any stress relief on it.)

Unlike some of my other headphones the LCD-1 presents an enjoyable tune from the headamp in the 0404 USB dac.

I'm trying to find some music that it can't keep up with. I've tried a disc of fast, complicated music (Hypermagic Mountain - Lightning Bolt). So far so good.

(by the way, I have sent an email to Sankar about the cables to find out if there is any stress relief on it.)

Wow the 0404 usb amp? Really? I mean I always have liked the 0404 usb amp for the buck.. but the LCD-1 is pretty brutal to drive compared to other 40 ohm phones. Well I suppose it's has to be less brutal than that amp driving high impedance headphones and I seem to remember it having at least enough juice for them, but that is still surprising to me :)

Well if you get enough volume then I'm sure it's enjoyable :) Still finding the bass dissatisfying? I'm very curious if you will experience what I did which was vast improvement on that front especially after 48/72 hrs of burn in.

I've not got the 48/72 burn-in yet because I've only had them playing when I was listening... not the usual way to do the burn-in maybe....

It turned out that I had to take the LCD-1 off my head to locate two screws :mad: They are my main suspect for opening these up. (But I'll wait until I have an idea of what to do when inside.)

It turned out not to be nice to swap from the X-CAN to the 0404. Well. It sounded ok when I didn't do the A/B.

Anyway. Time for a verdict after this quite short listen. (and with very little play-time at all.)

The LCD-1 are simply the best cans I ever heard. They destroy the Sennheiser HD580. And they are also better then my vintage planar headphones (The orthos and the electret).

It extends good (at least as good as my other headphones), it's fast, and the 3D headstage is outstanding. And it's musical.

I'm extremely happy so far :)

Damn, I should've known something like that already existed.

DAC, I didn't know you also used the 0404 USB. The amp really isn't that good, but the DAC is decent, at least. Try hooking it up to your X-Can. Icarium's description of the bass does make it sound like it just needs a bit of damping to get it to tighten up a little, but you may not appreciate a leaner bass.

Yeah I fully admit my definition of tight bass might be inconsistent with a majority of people ;p Either way I very much like the LCD-1 bass and am unsure if I really think it can be improved on. I feel like there would be some kinda trade off for tightness that I am not sure I"m willing to make. That is compounded by the fact that the LCD-1 bass is unlike my other headphones. Like sure I like the bass on my other headphones, but is it better? Not sure and does it make sense to have like 5 headphones with similar bass or different flavors.. shrug ;p