Audeze LCD-1 just landed!

Icarium

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh, nothing like a T50v1 to draw people out from the woodwork.... er draw the community together. Heck, dBel84 didn't even understand the question and he volunteered :D

So, let me rephrase the question:

who has modded the T50v1, or heck even opened one up, or am I going to have to think of something real good to bribe wualta with?

dBel84 has probably opened up and tweaked successfully more orthos than anyone else I know of. Not to mention resurrected 2 YH-1000s and a Wharfedale ID2 (twice after kabeer broke it once after don fixed it :P).

Can't recommend him highly enough.

Hey Bryan..Colin did a terrible job on that NAD the last time i heard them :chair:

Was expecting it to be sounding awesome with monstroius bass..instead absolutely no bass at all:mad:

Anyway if Colin is willing..send it to me before you send it back to Colin will ya?:P

It's the underlayment felt. It sucks out the mids too much when dampening the bass.

I'm working on the other two Yamahas tonight so I can spend a little more time with the RP182 before I tackle Kabeers Stax energizer. Then I have about 5 headphone prototypes to build and test, not to mention teh new MHM V1.2 board should be showing up at Tom's tomorrow and he's flipping it to me by early next week.

Heck, dBel84 didn't even understand the question and he volunteered :D

:rolleyes: itching to open them lcd1's :palm: but one ortho is pretty much like the next.

The only caveat with the T50v1 is that it is reported to have a driver that is light enough to damped by air = this changes the equation considerably and other aspects of the driver coupling need to be considered with as much significance.

..dB

heh, nothing like a T50v1 to draw people out from the woodwork.... er draw the community together. Heck, dBel84 didn't even understand the question and he volunteered :D

who has modded the T50v1, or heck even opened one up, or am I going to have to think of something real good to bribe wualta with?

No one we know of has modded one, all owners have theirs stock. I think Wualta cant even open his any more if im not mistaken (stripped a screw?) You have to be careful with those screws.

To save you time and finding a modder, id reccomend you try my earpad idea first.

Btw dBel: the diaphragm isnt lighter than the rest, its the same as the T50v2 and T50v2 oem's, and even T30 I think. Its just the tensioning of the driver thats different. Iv had a pop at all of them bar the v1.

And boilermakerfan: that NAD is a beast, I can help you out as I own one too.

dBel84 has probably opened up and tweaked successfully more orthos than anyone else I know of. Not to mention resurrected 2 YH-1000s and a Wharfedale ID2 (twice after kabeer broke it once after don fixed it :P).

Looool, I only broke it once thank you! :P, and that was because I was a pioneer in figuring out how to open an unknown headphone :P.

Will be interesting to see how the modifications improve it! or if you realise stock is best.

Did you notice the same pic on PAGE 1 of this thread? :chair::D

He's new around here. Go easy on him.

so, who's the Fostex T50v1 tweak king?

The general consensus is that the T50v1 is the Ortho that was done right. No need for tweaking. It's an off the shelf success. I tend to agree with that after hearing yours for the few seconds before the flames shot out of my β22. :P

I like the Audez'e. When can I start listening to them? I don't want to listen too soon, I heard that screws up burn-in.

what's he going to run them off of, his new plasma TV output? :chair:

yes, yes there was. But, I fixed it. So, there.

You may well have a career in standup!

BTW, I do have an adapter for listening from the speaker outputs of my Consonance Integrated.

Steve did an excellent job with the Donuts so perhaps enlist him for this?

Thanks! Did you get a chance to hear them?

I got the feeling Marc wasn't too impressed with them. Or it could have been that he was still mad because I stole his cookie.

Edited by swt61

I wouldn't advise opening it up.. the magical pixies might fly out and you'll never get them back in.Besides Wualta probably will just load them up wih NoNoNoNoNoNo-bass.

Marc's out of luck then since I've already done so... :P

Thanks! Did you get a chance to hear them?

I got the feeling Marc wasn't too impressed with them. Or it could have been that he was still mad because I stole his cookie.

Yup, I bought the one Philodox had. :)

Okay I think I'm ready to send my single ended pair out for a little journey. Keep it for a week or two each please. I think I'm willing to let it go to another 3-5 people besides the two listed depending on how much I know/trust them ;p

Usual rules. I'll pay to ship it to Dreadhead, but then each of you pay the postage to the next guy. Try to maintain the original packaging so yall can remain blameless of damage due to crappy packaging (It'll be all on me and my packing skillz etc). If you notice damage/wonkiness upon receiving it make sure to alert me and document it so we can pinpoint exactly what happened and hold the proper people responsible.

Most likely a non-issue of course :)

That being said if you can't afford to replace it if the worst come to pass then don't ask to be considered :/ Sorry :(

List:

1. Dreadhead

2. Deepak

Yeah, the T50v1...

I wouldn't touch 'em. When something's that well-developed, your chances of making it sound worse rather than better go up exponentially.

Tell yew whut, though... Someone get Kabeer to tell us how his genuine T50v2 compared to his Aiwa, which was close enough to the T50v1 to be the T50v0.

Problem is, they're all of 'em as rare as VFETs. The word "moot" comes to mind.

Now, is the T50v1 the be-all and end-all headphone? No, it's just the one that sounded good out of the box. It was finished, in other words. All the necessary work had been done. There are no false moves, no bullshit, no voodoo, in it. It was the best ortho anyone made, and maybe the best anyone could make, in 1978. Still, like any headphone, it's far from perfect. The bass could be tightened up and there's a ittybitty peak waaay up in the treble that sometimes makes itself heard. Headstage is nothing compared to even the Sony ECR-500, which cost less. Do I think we can make our "lesser" headphones sound just as good in most respects? Yes. I don't think Fostex did anything magical or unique, they just sweated the details. And many of you wouldn't even like the sound-- it would be too bright, and the headstage would be kind of meh.

So it's not sour grapes to say "Hey! Maybe I can't own a YH-1k or Aiwa or T50v1, but I can sure tune the ortho I've got to a fare-thee-well so it sounds the way I want it to sound! I can sweat my own details, thenk yew veddy much!"

The nice thing is that for folks who'd like a T50v1, there's now the Audeze, which costs not much more than the T50v1 cost in 1978! From all I've heard about the LCD-1, it sure looks like they're giving it everything Fostex tried to give the T50v1.

But if you insist on modding the Fostex, you'll find it difficult, and not just because it's already doing about as well as it can. There's also the higher than average diaphragm tension. The design just doesn't have the wiggle room that, say, a YH-100 has. Not saying it can't be improved, but the effort expended will be out of proportion to the benefits. You'd be better off yanking the drivers out of a T30 or a NAD and experimenting with them. That's my two cents.

Oh, go ahead and ask him again. He won't mind.

I've never picked his brains about modification of the big-driver Fostexen (T30, T50, Aiwa, NAD, Sansui), but it would be interesting to hear (or read) his thoughts. And I'll just betcha that anything that works for those drivers will be at least partially applicable to the LCD-1.

Hey, did anybody at any point in the design/debug process ever hand the Audeze guys a properly damped HP-3 or whichever and say "Here! listen to this!"?

I was supposed to send my HP-3 out to them Waler.

Sankar is probably going to make the Portland meet this sept 5th..he should get a taste of some really well damped orthos then (both mine and Don's, possibly Yogi's as well).