Audeze LCD-1 just landed!

Icarium

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sachu
When do they go to Markl for the recable that is required to unlock their true potential?

bah..these guys are our home boys..all ortho ninjas will work at making this headphone as good as it can get. They actually took inputs from Icarium, myself, Kabeer and probably Nate on cables. Glad to know they went with Mogami and hopefully the Neutrik NP3X-B plug.

Vicky, email them once again.

You can contact Sankar here.

The guys have been working at this non stop apart from their regular full time jobs.

Expecting my pair of headphones to arrive tomorrow.

Yeah they have been a bit hit or miss with answering emails, but I think they are just insanely busy since they both work 80 hr a week day jobs in addition to trying to get the business of the ground. I know they didn't follow through with Dreadhead either... AIM/phone seems to be the most reliable way to contact them.

I paid 450 shipped for one pair (400 + tax since I'm also in california + shipping). 437 for theo ther (tax + 400 dollars).

They are just shipping the first 6 they finished out of the first batch of 25. I'm not sure how many gen 1 batches they are doing before releasing gen 2. gen 1 and 2 differ in frames since gen 1 has essentially a modified off the shelf frame. According to ortho heads it can be drastically improved in terms of dampening and what not. What comes from their experimentation will trickle down into the gen 2 frame.

I'm guessing at least a year time frame for gen 2... also early adopters I was told will get some sort of upgrade plan whether its a discount for gen 2 or maybe just the frame if you want to swap the driver to the new frame... dunno they haven't pinned down the details yet.

Yeah I took some pictures with my crappy camera/photography skills, but my brother has the cable so I can't get them off the camera :/

Guest sachu
what's more to add - we need headshot pics with a smug grin. am looking forward to NoNoNoNoNoNo dropping these off tomorrow so that I can spend some time with them ..dB

haha Funny man. :chair:

Guest sachu
thought you might just appreciate that ;) ..dB

We'll work something out..probably bring it by so i can listen to it with the stacker..oh and maybe give you a listen. :P

Guest sachu

Just received my pair of Audeze LCD-1.

Burning in now. The guys sure did take our inputs on cables and plug.

First impressions. Seems like the bass is slightly uncontrolled. Some spatial detail missing. Could use some extension in the highs.

We'll see how these do after a few days of burn in.

I think burn in is probably done. Bass has definitely upped in quantity and extension has improved a bit. Highs were a little stabby with Afrocelt - Lovers of Light in certain areas (Only that track and frankly I think it's on purpose j4cbo confirm/deny?), but that's toned down.

The "congestion" with complex/distortion heavy music has gone away a bit as well, but it still is king with electronica/instrumental/vocalist-oriented music in comparison. Still I can enjoy my shittily mastered indie rock with it now :)

Verdict on balanced versus single ended? Bass is a little tighter balanced and soundstage is maybe a smidgeon wider and clearer. I think you can chalk this heapdhone up as a "Does not improve significantly balanced" headphone along with every other headphone besides the Sennheiser 6X0 series.

I don't regret having it done as it's nice :), but not a must have imo.

The speed and impact is fucking ridiculous. Also I don't know what it is but music sounds intriguingly different coming from these babies. I don't know if that's the "orthodynamic" sound or what since I have yet to hear some of those filthy vintage on-ear orthos, but something is differently presented in a different fashion. I never really bought into electrostatic versus dynamic sound, but I am starting to.

I guess it's time to put in the AD2000s and see the difference.

Haha.. yeah. Haven't heard those balanced ;p

So I think the LCD-1s are definitely wider in soundstage which is nice.

Bass quantity it also has the victory as well.

Speed is a toss up, but hard to gauge from the main difference which is high extension. The LCD-1s seem to be missing something that etches/defines/separates notes which takes away from how speed is conveyed. My suspicion was that this had to do with the higher frequencies and chatting with cetoole seems to confirm that.

NoNoNoNoNoNo says that this can be improved with mods.

I have noticed what you are referring to Dan C.

The bass wasn't extending as low as I would want it to. Then again I like a deep bass WITH quantity.

The Audezes are very well balanced across the freq range which is real nice achievement for the first pair of headphones they have built.

Damping can iron out some of the niggles in the top end of the spectrum. Nothing major though given their price. These are orthos and i think the main advantage of orthos is that you can tailor it to suit your tastes.