The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

Likewise, sorry to hear that. Let us know when you track down the issue what cause it.

I should have the boards populated next week and I will be putting in the transformer order tomorrow, so I should be able to start testing the supply pretty soon (baring any forgotten components).

Thanks guys. Kevin took some time to think about it and he thinks it may just be a fubar cap or that it is incorrectly labeled. Makes sense since the PSU works except for the noises and excessive heat. It's a good thing I bought a box full of those caps so plenty of spares.

post-353-0-86643400-1300744692_thumb.jpg

Edited by spritzer

I've been turning on the T2 PSU in steps these last few days and it almost blew up in my face. :mellow: The -260V supply went into meltdown mode and the 680uf/450V cap was burning hot after running for about a minute. Now comes the utter joy of figuring what went wrong... :palm:

Jeez - sorry to hear that. I guess I got lucky with the power supply - it just fired straight up and hasn't missed a beat since. The amp - as most of you know - was a different kettle of fish entirely.

It's got to be simple though - if the cap is roasting, and the rectifier bridge is OK - then it has to be the cap. Mislabelled and electrically in backwards. If that is the case, make sure the rectifiers haven't got cooked into the bargain.

Try pulling the IXYS current limiters temporarily, and isolate the transformer, bridge and capacitor.

If I have a spare bridge then I'll replace it as well but first I'll just replace the cap and see what happens. The rest of the PSU was just fine with no excessive heat generated. Now I really need some sleep before tackling the high voltage... :)

Hm. If I had to choose between a mislabeled cap, or a board manufacturing error, I'd probably assume the latter.

Turns out the cap wasn't mislabeled (unless the connectors were also mislabeled i.e. not likely) and after installing a new bridge as well the problem is still there. KG thinks the transformer is fubar and thus the AC is too high but I did test it before connecting anything and it was on spec. I'll test it again just to be sure but an internal short in the board or an incorrectly labeled resistor are all possibilities at this point. I'll probably fire up the +260V supply to see how it behaves since it uses most of the same parts. I can also swap the windings and see if it makes any difference.

Turns out the cap wasn't mislabeled (unless the connectors were also mislabeled i.e. not likely) and after installing a new bridge as well the problem is still there. KG thinks the transformer is fubar and thus the AC is too high but I did test it before connecting anything and it was on spec. I'll test it again just to be sure but an internal short in the board or an incorrectly labeled resistor are all possibilities at this point. I'll probably fire up the +260V supply to see how it behaves since it uses most of the same parts. I can also swap the windings and see if it makes any difference.

That is bloody wierd. I'd really go back to basics. Pigtail the transformer leads into a bridge rectifier taped to the bench, and measure the rectified (ac) voltage - which will tell you if there is a problem with that particular winding. Connect up a 680uF cap and again see what it measures as smoothed ac.

If all is OK, then there could be an interwinding short or something else peculiar in the way the -260V is generated from 300V using a dc offset from the -500V and -60V supplies.

But again I'd go back to basics - even take the Tx out, and run each winding into a bridge screwed to a piece of wood (say), then add caps and see what the actual raw dc is from each of the three windings. Then check the voltage between each of the windings - they should be isolated.

Birgir - do you have a megohm meter? The windings should be electrically well isolated to a rather high voltage. If there is an interwinding short, or low resistance, it should show up using a megohm meter with the voltage set to 500V. Do your transformers have interwinding insulation barriers?

I did pay extra to have the boards electrically tested. But who knows what

really happened. I just don't see how the electrolytic can get hot unless

its backwards, or over voltage. No matter what kind of load it sees.

As far as kerry's amp...

Turn up the bias current to 2 amps per leg.

Replace the output fets with the SiC fets that nelson is using.

BIGGER HEATSINKS. And my test bench thing works absolutely great

with +/-24 volt power supplys, and does about 30 pure class A watts

into 8 ohms. Currently using switchers for the power, and each

amplifier puts out about 200 watts of heat. Sounds really nice

into vintage VOTT's. REALLY NICE.

OK, so VOTT's are really more like 12 to 16 ohms...

That sounds like a plan. :) My transformers are the same SumR spec as most of the other T2's built to KG's spec.

No megaohm tester I'm afraid but I'll wire up a bridge and a cap tomorrow.

Edit: I'm with KG though, it's only the cap and the parts around it (the copper conducting the heat?) that get hot so this is bloody strange. If this was some stupid mistake on my end I'll be so pissed... <_<

Edited by spritzer

As far as kerry's amp...

Turn up the bias current to 2 amps per leg.

Replace the output fets with the SiC fets that nelson is using.

BIGGER HEATSINKS. And my test bench thing works absolutely great

with +/-24 volt power supplys, and does about 30 pure class A watts

into 8 ohms. Currently using switchers for the power, and each

amplifier puts out about 200 watts of heat. Sounds really nice

into vintage VOTT's. REALLY NICE.

OK, so VOTT's are really more like 12 to 16 ohms...

Very cool :D

I was thinking of adding some local feedback on the output stage to keep the gain to about 10x (on the output stage). This will help keep the gain on the drains of the input stage closer to 1x amplification. Right now with all the negative feedback it is really low (hard to measure even on the scope).

What do you think?

Did I mention this is very cool!

Edited by Kerry

If this was some stupid mistake on my end I'll be so pissed... <_<

Well, my latest errors have been (a) a solder bridge that vapourised two tracks on a pro power amp I was fixing. Um, re-fixing as it turned out; and (B) missing soldering a component at all in the BH. I was so paranoid about the T2 I did a 100% solder inspection under a magnifier - and I still missed an unsoldered joint (so 99.95% inspection...)

Well, my latest errors have been (a) a solder bridge that vapourised two tracks on a pro power amp I was fixing. Um, re-fixing as it turned out; and (B) missing soldering a component at all in the BH. I was so paranoid about the T2 I did a 100% solder inspection under a magnifier - and I still missed an unsoldered joint (so 99.95% inspection...)

I do hate it when that happens. I was having some random issues with the first Egmont clone I built and it was naturally due to unsoldered joints. I had looped and clamped the wires (all done P-P) but didn't realize the error until I had stripped the amp for a complete rebuild. Here I was thinking the cheap Pfhier pots were acting up... :palm:

It appears I have good news on the T2 front. Today is my first day off in a month and a half so I'm running at approximately 50% which is way more than is the norm. The first thing I did was to go over the PSU and everything was as it should be, all resistors matched the schematic and everything was properly soldered. So that wasn't the issue I checked the transformers and lo and behold, I didn't get any resistance readings on the 485 and 285 windings... <_< Turns out SumR fucked up the data sheet so violet*/gray were listed for the 485VAC winding but it is supposed to be gray/blue. Ditto for the 285VAC windings, they listed blue*/green but it really is violet/green. Here are some pics of the other transformer under test but the resistance on the offending transformer is the same:

p1000976ba.th.jpg

p1000975.th.jpg

Needless to say I'm not happy but I'm more angry at myself for trusting the datasheet... Now I just have to fix the leads and hook everything up for testing.

Edited by spritzer
  • Like 1

It´s alive!!!! :) I had a minor scare when I forgot to tighten one of the 485VAC wires (so the PSU made no sense at all) but it was quickly fixed. No noises and no smoke and the same goes for the + side as well. Now I just need to finalize the wiring and turn my attention to the amp chassis...