The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

Interesting question, I was wondering that myself.  The T2 current sources are pretty sophisticated, but without measuring their dynamic impedance I don't know if using cascoded MOSFETs would give a higher dynamic impedance, which would be the reason for making a substitution.  My bias is that the closer the  current source/load is to a perfect current source the less it should contribute to the sound.

I've been looking to get some of the original T2 boards made for myself (in 3oz copper & 2mm thick). It looks like the only way to do it at a reasonable price would be to do a run of boards. So I've been talking with headinclouds about doing it through his PCB supplier and at 10 sets it'd be about £100. At 20 sets it'd be about £80. This doesn't include shipping or paypal fees. Still have to work out exact details, but under $200 is definitely possible at 10 sets. Anyway, pm me with your interest.

There have been some posts lately about cascaded current source. With reference to JimL's srx schematic and the srx layout made by Kevin - I made a couple of small boards, surface mounted dn2540 along with some resistors and replaced the two 10m90s resistors.

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 1

JoaMat,

Very nice adaptation  One caveat, the 10M90S is designed as a current source, so I presume that the choosing the current setting resistor can be done using the graph in the data sheet.  However the DN2540 is not specifically designed as a current source, so I have found there is more variability in the current from one sample to the next if you're using the same value resistor.  This is why in my schematic I use a pot for fine-tuning the current, and also a current sensing resistor (10 or 100 ohms) to set the pot to the desired current.

I would also be interested in hearing about any subjective changes you hear after the mod, since in my SRX mod I never tried the 10M90S by itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been drawing up some panels recently, figured some others might be interested.

post-3922-0-92968600-1420182504_thumb.pn

post-3922-0-99239000-1420182509_thumb.pn

post-3922-0-54524400-1420182513_thumb.pn

Still have to triple check things, but I'm pretty sure I have all the critical measurements right.

Some folks have expressed interest in another small board run, but not quite enough though. I'd like to avoid fronting the money myself & selling extras later if possible. So unless someone has a boardset (amp v1.07/psu v1.15) they'd be willing to sell I'll have to figure out what to do about PCBs later.

Anyway, would anyone be interested in some quad RK50's? onlinecomponents.com has a decent discount on them if at least 5 are ordered.

• Like 1

The closest in dimension to the original heatsinks I've been able to find (cheaply) were from conradheatsinks. So there'd be a seam from joining two 200mm heatsinks, and I'd have to cheat a little with some spacers on either side of them to get the required 16.2" inside length. I drew the top cover to hide those seams, really. That and I happen to like how how the vitus amps look. ::)