Apple Tablet

I wouldn't get the 16GB version, that'll probably work out to a real world 13GB once the OS and basic apps are on there and that's not nearly enough for something that you're going to want to stick a ton of content on. The extra 100 for 32GB would definitely be worth it in my opinion.

I'm not really looking at this as a content device, but more as a work device. I won't need to put music on it.... I've got my iPhone for that. Perhaps some movie/TV shows. But I don't see loading it up. I typically deal with one TV series at a time so I'd only have a few episodes loaded on my iPhone now. iBooks... that might be something I load up on, but we'll see. I barely have time to read the shit I have to read for work, let alone leisure reading. Right now I'm digging through Snow Crash, one chapter a day.

No, my plans for this are as a extension of my desktop at work. Get files and take notes during meetings. We'll see how it works out. I'm a big Omnifoucs/Omnioutliner user and they are creating new apps for both of those for the iPad... that will be big for me. Also, it will come in handy at meeting for quick presentations and browsing through our Infopath forms on our group's sharepoint site.

Besides, if I get something larger than the 16GB, it will be the 32GB + 3G. So might as well check it out at the 16GB level first. I have no doubt that if it doesn't work out, I will be able to sell it off fairly easily.

Can someone translate this for me. From TUAW.com

Apple has clarified that iBooks will be available as a free download at the first date of shipping from App Store. iBooks represents the first time that Apple has shipped its own major product (iWork titles will follow shortly thereafter) from App Store. If it proves successful on the iPad, keep your eyes open for a potentially similar distribution move via iTunes for Macintosh software.

Does this mean you can order books before the iPad ships and they will be pre-installed? Or are iBooks going to be free for a little while?

I believe it means that the iBooks app itself will not be built into the iPad (in the sense of being already on the iPad when you take it out of the box, excuse me, ultra green packaging) but will be purchased through the app store - and will be both free, and available on the day the iPad is released.

The books themelves will cost, though it wouldn't surprise me if the iBooks app came bundled with a book or two to tease/tempt you in.

I'm not really looking at this as a content device, but more as a work device. I won't need to put music on it.... I've got my iPhone for that. Perhaps some movie/TV shows. But I don't see loading it up.

The problem, even with that use case as I see it, is that with just a few episodes (at 720P-type resolutions) a few books, a magazine or two, and you could be almost full. I will be interested to see file sizes for TV shows and movies encoded specifically for this device, I expect them to be in the 500MB/hr range, if not higher or they're not going to look very good. I've never downloaded movies or TV shows from the iTunes store so I can't be sure but what has been people's experience regarding those with regard to file size?

[edit] According to the iTunes FAQ the average 2hr movie is "is about 1.5 GB." I don't like the idea of any one file eating more than 10% of my storage and having to sync or delete it to get the space back.

Edited by n_maher

The problem, even with that use case as I see it, is that with just a few episodes (at 720P-type resolutions) a few books, a magazine or two, and you could be almost full. I will be interested to see file sizes for TV shows and movies encoded specifically for this device, I expect them to be in the 500MB/hr range, if not higher or they're not going to look very good. I've never downloaded movies or TV shows from the iTunes store so I can't be sure but what has been people's experience regarding those with regard to file size?

[edit] According to the iTunes FAQ the average 2hr movie is "is about 1.5 GB." I don't like the idea of any one file eating more than 10% of my storage and having to sync or delete it to get the space back.

Using Handbrake I can get a 1 hr 50 min (in this case Snatch) to be ~500 MB range. Of course the resolution will be different for the iPad but I don't know if the file size will scale 2x and be 1GB for a ~2 hr movie. I agree with you on the memory. 32 GB minimum for me. I really wish my iPhone was 32 GB...

What do you need either the netbook or MBP to be able to do?

Typical BS like teh internets, email, calendar, photos.

Other stuff: Light MS Office stuff, Music (ability to be music server as well as straight player), watch movies, hop on my parents' networks because they always screw them up.

It would be perfect if it had a digital audio line out.

It has a dock connector right? Stands to reason it might "reasonably" be able to be coupled to something like the Wadia thingy to get digital output.

I still wouldn't try to use it in place of what I use my Macbook for despite what Grawk says.