Inexpensive Active Near-Field Monitors?

mypasswordis

I second the recommendation for the Mackies. I use a pair of HR824's and love them. They are very neutral and the sound is excellent IF you like to hear what's actually on the recording. They are not very forgiving and any flaw will show up!

Look for them used as you can often find killer deals on Craigslist for these monitors.

All this talk of cheap used HR824s is making me want to get a pair. But I have no room for speakers (no real desktop to even speak of), little money, and little use for them since I just don't have time for extended listening sessions anymore. My time is almost always better spent practicing...

Meanwhile, I passed along all the great info I got from this thread and the intarwebs and am now waiting for a response/to see if she makes a decision. Thanks, guys.

I'm actually using a pair of vintage Canton speakers that used to be my dad's right now... Fonum 60. One of them is literally on top of my bookshelf and the other is on a stack of books. I'm sure that doesn't help sound any.

Well at least that's better than the eedjuts that place one floor stander against the backwall, while the other is somewhere on the adjacent sidewall. That always make me want to scream. Especially when it's a decent pair of speakers.

That's quite expensive. The MK1's have a reputation for being much better than the MK2's and ever since the MK2's came out and the MK1 stock diminished, the MK1's used price sky rocketed. I got my pair of MK1's for under $600.

weird

I've heard the opposite.

And I've seen mk1's being sold on clearance for dirt cheap.

Another thing to factor in is the sub for hr824's, the hrs120 is discontinued atm.

An important thing to keep in mind is that an 8' woofer is very important for the monitor to properly reproduce the lower mid and bass frequencies.

It will make a big difference, with or without a sub.