Inexpensive Active Near-Field Monitors?

mypasswordis

I have a friend who is looking for good active monitors, under $400 or so, and mostly used in a near-field/desktop setup. Coming more from the pro audio (mixing and post-production) side than the audiophile side, so as flat a frequency response as possible would be nice. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

In case anyone cares, I'll also be sending along my modded Fostex T20v2 and T40v1 to this friend on indefinite loan to see if they're up to the task of being good studio headphones. I'm sad to say that I really don't listen to headphones very much, anymore, otherwise you'd have to pry the T40 off my cold, dead hands.

I'm debating the upcoming bookshelf model and the Monitor 30, for desktop nearfield.

Despite having ample desk space, I'm thinking the Monitor 30 would be too big, but I'm really not sure.

But I would like the 30 if I can swing it, as it should play lower.

I think the M30 would be to big for desktop. The smaller P3esr would be great. I think these speakers are really good in a desktop system. Killer little speakers.

Damn those Mackeys look nice. I've been seriously considering going from my LX4 2.1 M-Audio set up to something nicer.

I've been looking at active Quad 11Ls and 12Ls.. I want to stick with active to keep my computer rig basic and simple.

Anyone able to give a break down between the pros/cons of the 11L/12L/Mackeys?

i have the bx8a (older style) and love them. i would tell him to listen to the newer version of these along with the Mackies posted above, only problem i see with the Mackies is the Freq range compared to the bx8's..still he should listen to both in life first.

I looked up some reviews and I think the consensus is the Bx8a Deluxe is bass heavy and doesn't have built-in EQ adjustments, but might still be a decent option.

And I was waiting for someone to post something way over budget... Harbeths sure look nice.:P

ha.

From what I've read, its identical to the existing design, but with a new "radial" driver.

Not really sure how it betters the existing design, but hey - new is new :)

The Radial drivers have been around for years, they are what makes the Harbeths midrange so special. I'm glad to see them make into the smaller less $$$ models. If i had the money I would love to set up another system at my computor with the P3esr speakers.