ipod speakers

boomana

Here's an entry for cheapest speaker stands. I'm trying different materials to find the optimal height of my Sampan-FTLs so grabbed these half cinderblocks from the garage. I like the weight and sturdyness; might just paint and use them. Maybe a trip to your local lawn and garden for some type of small pavers. Double as weights for weighted squats at lunch; win win.

For possible desktop speakers, I am enjoying the Role Audio stuff. The smaller version (Skiffs) might be a consideration for your longer-term mention. They are, like the Sampans, a single 3.5" driver, crossover-less design. My FTLs have good tight bass but are a tad rolled off at the top to my ears; suspect the same for the Skiffs (plus the loss at the bottom end). However, Imaging and soundstage are good++, and they have better tonal accuracy than any other small speaker I can remember hearing. IMHO, they have (close to) that Joe Grado HP driver-like midrange quality.

Using the Opus 21 as a source/preamp and the Trends TA-10 in poweramp mode (pot disabled), I've been listening to this desktop speaker rig exclusively for several days tweaking the near-field sweetspot to be in my regular tying position. Other than missing some of the high end shimmer, I'm finding this a very enjoyable rig and more than adequate as a desktop speaker rig; not missing my headphones as much.....

sampanftl.jpg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Edge of speaker protrudes further than edge of speaker stand? Yes?

How about between the speakers? I have a LCD panel between and wondering if the edge of the speaker would be better well in front of, or behind the panel far enough for the speakers to 'see' each other.

I love the packs of smokes with post-it notes. Working on your impressions for cig-fi.org?

Yes, headphones are rather limiting. I'm branching out.

Vicky -- the baffles of the speakers should be flush with the books.

They were flush when I started out, and I even had them slightly forward at one point. I was trying out a bunch of things, and that was the I-give-up last stand in the pic. I think the A2s just have limitations that even slight tweaking won't really change. I might bring in my Denon pcdp just to see if the source makes a difference, though I won't be bringing in cds daily, that's for sure. If I keep to certain music (not bassy or complex), they really are very okay. I've just decided to like them, and not focus on what's not likable.

drp, you're setup looks quite nice, though the cinder blocks, painted or not, wouldn't fly at my workplace.

I think I'll revisit choices in a few months. For now, I'm just going to accept things the way they are.

^^ Edge of speaker protrudes further than edge of speaker stand? Yes?

How about between the speakers? I have a LCD panel between and wondering if the edge of the speaker would be better well in front of, or behind the panel far enough for the speakers to 'see' each other.

I like flush. At work, I have my Quad 12L's to either side of one of my screens, slightly toed in ("really? in the nearfield? Is that necessary?" "No, not for sound, just for looks/cleanliness of setup/etc." "Oh"), and then with a second LCD to the right of the right speaker, also flush.

The theory being to minimize edge diffractions. It'd be the same reason speaker designers go out of their way with interesting variations on baffles ("infinite", etc.).

But really, Vicky has it right -- experiment, whatever sounds best.

Certainly hanging over the edge as you have it would be at least as good as the speaker designers intended, I think.

Hopstretch, I did just pick up one of these as the non-bluetooth version is again available.

foxlmb_01.jpg

I've re-centered my expectations to be realistic for what I'm getting (pocket-sized speakers), so I'm hoping to be pleased enough with them for their intended use, which will be primarily for travel. I'll report back when I get them, which according to amazon, will be on the 10th.

Hope that works out well; it looks kinda nice for the size.

I ended up biting on the Chestnut Hill George, due Veteran's Day. Not going to have too much listening time initially - lots of day and night plans, then family stuff even on the weekend - but hope to get a good taste of it quickly enough.

foxlmb_01.jpg

Well, I got this little thing today, and I'm listening to it now. It's certainly not the end-all-be-all of audio reproduction, but I'm really quite pleased with it, especially for its size and the fact that it can run/charge with usb and wall thingy, and has a 5 hour battery life. It's really really tiny. It distorts at volumes that would fill a medium-sized room, but I don't think that's the point of these. There's no real bass and no real treble, but the mids are really nice, and I'd almost take the lack of bass over the bass bloat I'm getting with the A2s, though I'm getting a bit more used to those and just limit what I play with them. You can buy an additional mini sub woofer, but since I view these as uber-portable speakers, that sort defeats the purpose....maybe if I had to live in hotel rooms.....Anyway, thanks Stretch for the suggestion. It's not going answer the office rig question, but it definitely will get its share of use.

Everyone I know who's happy with the A2s EQ them with 'puters. I'd say 'acoustic' on the iPod is your best bet, but you know the drill with the iPods EQ.

That said the A5s are a huge step up and would fit on your desk (if I'm measuring your desk correctly). Back port firing, but I've bought the A2s for a friend and swapped them for A5s, which I also have*, after hearing both side-by-side. 'Huge' is not an exaggeration.

I think the A2s are great speakers for the price, but the bloat is what I heard too.

* House-sitting this month and have the A5s here and not sure why I really need anything else. As you probably know the A5s have iPod support with USB charging. Anyway, the Quads are better, but without the iPod support (surprisingly useful) and cheaper price.

Hey look, open box A5 (in black) for 249$. (If Vicki wants them, let her get them. If any of you guys get this before she can, the HC Mafia and/or Ninjas will hunt you down and do unspeakable things).

Used

**BRENT**

P.S. *Warning Addendum* The aforementioned "unspeakable things", though unspeakable, will be documented by Ari with his new toy and posted for all to see.