ipod speakers

boomana

My nice new office is horribly located, meaning the door right is near a hallway speaker, which pumps out gawd awful "soft" jazz 24/7. I can see only two survival options:

A) Kill everyone

B) Drown out the music

I cannot use my computer for music, nor can I have computer speakers. Headphones are only an option for limited times during the day, so I'm thinking to get one of those smallish all-in-one ipod speaker dealios, but I have zero idea what's out there that may sound good. I've checked out two Apple stores (used to have setups and now don't seem to) a Best Buy (couldn't really hear anything with all the damn tvs going). I had one of those Bose ones years ago, which was fine for it's purpose (had it in a classroom), but I'm hoping that there's something a bit better. I'm looking to spend under $300.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boss would disagree about that being a solution. It was definitely my first thought.

I wouldn't tell your boss. I never did. :D

What about an iPod and earbuds as a solution? I suggest PK2s since they don't need an external amp but obviously you are capable of finding your own headphones. ;) This would have the advantage of still being open yet would not disturb any of your neighbors. This solution would also have the advantage of being really inexpensive as you already have most of what you need and the earbuds would be relatively cheap.

Thinking outside the box, and possibly at the upper end of your range, but have your considered the aptly named Squeezebox Boom

Squeezebox Boom FAQ - Fab4 SqueezeboxWiki

There is a line in, that you can connect to, to use them as amplified speakers.

If you have access to wi-fi, or are allowed to connect devices to your network, that connects to the internet, then you can connect to internet radio, pandora, etc without using your PC. If this is not the case, then this won't be such a good solution.

Sound Quality is impressive for such a small all-in-one package. I've just tried it with some lossless files out of the sansa clip headphone->line-in and have no complaints. (you may need to up the default line-in volume setting as its at 50% by default to avoid clipping with hot sources, i'd guess) Goes more than loud enough to annoy co-workers :)

How much are you willing to spend on this Vicki?

I was thinking in the $200-$300 range, but you know me.... :palm:

Have you looked at Tivoli audio - I liked their original radio but haven't heard much of the other gear they make. Original designed by the late Henry Kloss..dB

Hmmm. I like the idea of having a radio, too. Looks like Target sells them. I wonder if there's a chance to audition one. Might wander over there today.

I wouldn't tell your boss. I never did. :D

What about an iPod and earbuds as a solution? I suggest PK2s since they don't need an external amp but obviously you are capable of finding your own headphones. ;) This would have the advantage of still being open yet would not disturb any of your neighbors. This solution would also have the advantage of being really inexpensive as you already have most of what you need and the earbuds would be relatively cheap.

Things like headphones and closed doors (except for when seeing a patient) are not accepted. Largish speakers on the desk would also not be appreciated. I have room to set up a small seating area with some nice, comfy chairs, tables, etc and I also have room behind me to place a small table. It wouldn't be a problem to put an attractive, small ipod thing, but that's about it.

There is a line in, that you can connect to, to use them as amplified speakers.

If you have access to wi-fi, or are allowed to connect devices to your network, that connects to the internet, then you can connect to internet radio, pandora, etc without using your PC. If this is not the case, then this won't be such a good solution.

Not allowed to connect anything to the network or to the computer at all. They only recently (in the past two years) gave us Internet access. There are lots of concerns over security issues, and due to the nature of the biz and confidentiality laws, as well as plain ol' ethics, that's not going to change.

Vicki, I got my wife one of these a while back for her office and she's been very happy with it. Though her definitions of high sound quality likely fall somewhat short of your own. ;)

oooh. I want one of those anyway. That would be nice for travel. :)

Edit: I was all set to buy this, had my cc ready, then saw that no more will be available until November :(

Edited by boomana

The audioengine 5 definitely has a built-in ipod dock. I believe the audioengine 2 also has one but I am too lazy to check. I use the 5's in my office and every time I think I need to upgrade to better speakers I simply put on something I really like and the upgrade necessity disappears. Wish it would work for things other than speakers. :palm:

- Get the fire hose, pressurized seltzer water, fire extinguisher or the like and damp that damn speaker. Then don't tell your boss it's dead.

- I second John's recommendation, the Audioengine speakers sound good for casual listening, are self amplified and with an iPod dock, you'd be well served.

- The Tivoli radio is also a great idea, they sound good, look nice on a desk and if FM stations in your area are decent, you may have a lot of fun listening to it.

The audioengine 2s are something to be considered since they're not too big, but I'm really looking for a one-unit type thing since desk space is limited (L-shaped with one side with a back shelf/cupboard thing and a huge freaking phone and computer already there, and the other side facing where supposedly people will sit and pretend to listen to me, so no speakers can go there), and unless I want to buy my own shelving (not happening) to get some separation and set them up somewhere behind where I sit, I just don't see it.

That new Zeppelin at least isn't as hideous as the football they called good design before. The size is right. Wonder what they're using for a DAC, since the wanker in the video goes on about it doing "all the hard work." The size is certainly right, and my boss wouldn't object to its physical presence. Just wondering how much of the cost goes to pay video idiots and website designers rather than towards sq. It's also not out yet. Has anyone here heard the original monstrosity?

Went to Target. No Tivoli. Went to Best Buy again (next door to Target), but was too cranky to listen to anything. At least no real rush for now.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I bought one of the Boston Acoustic Horizon table radios for my outside deck. Sound is decent, maybe a little midbass muddy. Has radio, extra inputs, and headphone output (never tried, perhaps a little scared to :P).

One Call has a deal on refurb units with ipod docks. EDIT: 1 year warranty, 3 year replacement warranty = $22. I may get a second one for that price....

Have read back and forth on quality, but no probs with mine.

Vicki, I got my wife one of these a while back for her office and she's been very happy with it. Though her definitions of high sound quality likely fall somewhat short of your own. ;)

oooh. I want one of those anyway. That would be nice for travel. :)

Edit: I was all set to buy this, had my cc ready, then saw that no more will be available until November :(

Hey Vicki. This looks cute. I know the normal one is out of stock everywhere (not out yet?), but the one with bluetooth (50$ more) is in stock in a few places.

Soundmatters FOXLMB Portable Stereo Loudspeaker with Bluetooth 2.0 in Portable and Desktop Speakers at JR.com

That place has it with free shipping, so in essence it comes out to 38$ more for the bluetooth one over other sites. It says it will ship out Monday.

If you didn't know, this model (FoxLMB) will let you play music wirelessly from your iPhone. It also has a built in mic so if you get a phone call you can use it as a voice conferencing/speaker phone setup (or even use it that way in your car, if you wanted).

Oh! If you decided you would rather go with the lower model (heh, yeah right), then I recommend getting this one, having it for a month, then take use of their return policy to trade out for the non-bluetooth one. You won't do that, but if someone else was thinking about getting the lesser one... there's an option for you.

**BRENT**

Well, after another fruitless listening trip in which I decided I don't like anything, I'm rethinking the Audioengine A2 speakers. They're only $200, and I'm guessing they have to sound better than what I've experienced in the past two days. I also figure that if I don't like them, they're more salable than just an ipod speaker dock.

I may still consider the Foxl for travel, but I'm doubting the bluetooth feature would sound good, and I'm not interested in spending more for getting nothing, even though I've been known on occasion to spend a lot to get just a little more if we're talking sound quality, but that is, of course, entirely different. :)