Audeze LCD-2

Smeggy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first plot of a CSD is nothing but the frequency response plot...at least by my understanding.

The rest are the decay over time..

edit: Re read what you posted..you will understand why you can see the freq response in a CSD.

Edit: Also, doesn't that mean there is a hump right around the frequencies you and Don had problems with on the HE5?

If those graphs are accurate..the 1kH to 5kHz content is about 2-3dB above the 20-1kHz content..This is fine cause it does give a full richer sound due to most of the music content being concentrated there and means the vocals are pushed a tad forward which is mostly looked up favorably..

But from 5kHz to 10kHz there is a further 2-3dB increase which is slightly worrisome for the likes of me and most ortho folks used to darker sound signatures given the vintage orthos inherent freq responses.

After that the rest of the freq response seems to taper off and come back to the level of the 20-1kHz content which is fantastic.

edit: Then again..the LCD-2 is going to be tuneable i've been told..we can open it and damp to our hearts content..i am just hoping that we won't..or the most of us won't and they get it right the first time round this time. :P

A note of caution, it was also mentioned that those opening up the headphone might lose their warranty. Personally I don't want a reason to open it in the first place.

Makes me wonder why they didn't post the rest of the frequency response.

Best give us a blow-by-blow on sound when you get back, Colin.:D

No idea, difficulty getting repeatable results, still some tweaking left that will impact upper frequencies, havnt gotten to it yet. No idea.

My blow-by-blow report will be which of the two (HE-5 v. LCD2) I buy. Maybe a bit more, but that will be the core of it.

You can extrapolate that from the waterfall plot

Except its way overly smoothed.

I really think I'm going to need this headphone. It just keeps getting more enTICEing.

I want no headphones which put a Tice on my head.

I find this interesting, comparing the CSD of the LCD1 to the new LCD2. Pretty sweet, the LCD2 is nearly twice as fast, and with fewer artifacts.

http://www.audeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/LCD2-Waterfall-1W-NF.jpg

http://www.audeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/spectraldecay1.png

Except its way overly smoothed.

Agreed...I would want to see a proper full spectrum frequency response graph, said so when i replied to him last night :P..perhaps he will have the binaural head at the NYC meet..Sankar did mention that he was planning on bringing that to a meet..an 8000$ noggin!! :eek:

I find this interesting, comparing the CSD of the LCD1 to the new LCD2. Pretty sweet, the LCD2 is nearly twice as fast, and with fewer artifacts.

http://www.audeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/LCD2-Waterfall-1W-NF.jpg

http://www.audeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/spectraldecay1.png

Aaah was looking for that..

Wait, I thought a Tice was just a measurement of length.

But from 5kHz to 10kHz there is a further 2-3dB increase which is slightly worrisome for the likes of me and most ortho folks used to darker sound signatures given the vintage orthos inherent freq responses.

Indeed... I might actually like it.:P Of course, I don't like to keep anything stock and think the LCD2 would be a perfect candidate for some damping, which would hopefully decrease bass resonance in exchange for some extension and shift the lower treble hump higher up.

edit: Then again..the LCD-2 is going to be tuneable i've been told..we can open it and damp to our hearts content..i am just hoping that we won't..or the most of us won't and they get it right the first time round this time. :P

A note of caution, it was also mentioned that those opening up the headphone might lose their warranty. Personally I don't want a reason to open it in the first place.

That'd be nice.

It'd be helpful if they carried the dB scale all the way around the waterfall so you could see where the graph starts and stops and some sort of meaningful sense of scale could developed for the intermediary information. As it is I have no idea how large that hump is somewhere around 5k. Could be 5db, could be more like 7 or 8.

$650. And I will have you know, I am not used to, and never will be used to any fraction of a Tice on my head.

Everybody is considered a dickhead by someone. :P

And $650.00 sounds doable, thanks.

Who's considering purchasing the LCD-2?

Edited by swt61

I'm considering buying one to compare against the HE-5 I got from NoNoNoNoNoNo and keeping the one I like more. Curious as to what they ended up doing with the headband though. I remember reading somewhere (perhaps in this thread) that it was still a work in progress, as were the pads?

Wow, a lot of you are doing a show down. I do hope the LCD-2 wins, because I don't want to empower that crazy Feifei, but I can understand keeping the winner. I have a feeling it'll be the LCD-2 in any case.

I wonder if Audeze will consider custom wood choices if I can supply the wood?