Video Transcoding Help - mkv to avi to DVD?

So I have a mkv file that I would ultimately like to try and get onto a writeable DVD that can perhaps be played in a standard DVD player. I have tried several pieces of software to would presumably at least allow me to transcode the mkv file to avi and therefore make it more "playable" on various HTPCs. For example, my PS3 won't play mkv but will play most avi. So can anyone help. Time really isn't of essence here, I've been working on this on and off for 6 months already. :palm:

I keep reading page after page that allegedly link to programs like mkv2ps3 and others but eff me if I can even find download links some times.

Try Virtual Dub Mod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release) which is a modification of the "normal" VDB. A friend recommended it to me. It's available from here and managed to convert some of those "difficult" videos for me. You can enqueue several tasks after editing (if needed) and setting the codecs preferences.

Grahame,

Thanks, I'll try to look at some of that later. My issue really isn't getting the file to play on my PS3, I'm semi-savvy enough to be able to do that most days but ultimately what I'd like to do is get the mkv to the point where I can create a custom DVD from it. From what I understand none of the dvd authoring programs that I have access to are going to be able to handle the mkv format.

MEncoder is like the swiss army knife of video format conversion...

mencoder(.exe) "/path/to/video.mkv" -oac copy -ovc copy -o "/path/to/video.avi"

And if you need to change what codec is used for the audio or video, just change "copy" to the name of the codec (oac for audio, ovc for video).

• 1 month later...

Ok, I need to resurrect this thread. I've tried several ways to convert the file to DVD and while I've been able to get something playable I'm continuously running into audio sync issues (even though the native file plays just fine and is synced). Is there anyone out there who could have a go at doing this who's more skilled in the ways of video manipulation? I can provide the mkv file on CD (about 1GB so uploading would be problematic for me) and would be eternally grateful.

Okay, I'm sure this has already been tried, but for the heck of it I'll ask - have you used a recent Handbrake version to transcode from .mkv to h.264 .mp4/.m4v (with an extremely high bitrates to minimize secondary artifacts), then author a DVD (which will use another transcoding step to older MPEG-2) with Sonic/Roxio/etc.?

• 2 weeks later...

I've also been ripping a ton of BR. To me, its a lot easier I think then taking an MKV and transcoding it for DVD on a PC it seems (I'm a fan of just taking direct stream rips and only encoding the audio). I'm also interested in good ways to do this, AVI2DVD seems like a good choice.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_mkv_to_dvd_with_freeware.cfm