The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I saw the pics in your FS listing and you may not have taken the spring mod far enough. It could just be the pics (;)) but the spring should make a clear impression in the pleather all around as it forces the pads into place. I even extended the spring with some heatshrink and some more wire to maintain the "hold" all round.

As for the Jade, I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I even had a hard time forcing myself to listen to them. Now there are plenty of phones that have major flaws yet are still great fun to listen too. Hell I even like the vintage RS-1's for what they offer but the Jade is just a truly dreadful headphone.

I set out to see if I could make Stax my bitch.

It saddens me to report that I was not able to accomplish this task, as Stax has made me its bitch instead.

I was doing really well, I'd put the O2's Craig lent me back in their flight case and was happy listening with the LNS on the 007t as they were better suited, being brighter. But then Craig handed me a new headpad for them and asked me if I could put them on the O2s, so out of their box they came again. Of course, then I had to plug them in and see how they were with the new headband and dammit I'm done for again.

Ok, seeing the pics jogs my memory. You need to remove the front panel to get to the screws so take off the back of the amp. There are screws underneath the top and then underneath the amp (two each though there could be 4 on the bottom, two to fix the bottom plate in place). The faceplate should then be loose and you can pull it off. Be careful with the power switch though and the led since they are fixed on the inside.

If you can see light shining through the holes then the screws are probably inside the amp or in the box it arrived in. They are hex or torx so bear that in mind.

Those both look like press on knobs.

Nate could be right here.

Ok, seeing the pics jogs my memory. You need to remove the front panel to get to the screws so take off the back of the amp. There are screws underneath the top and then underneath the amp (two each though there could be 4 on the bottom, two to fix the bottom plate in place). The faceplate should then be loose and you can pull it off. Be careful with the power switch though and the led since they are fixed on the inside.

If you can see light shining through the holes then the screws are probably inside the amp or in the box it arrived in. They are hex or torx so bear that in mind.

I just take a look through the holes on the knob and it looks like there're still something in there. There's no light through the holes. So I just need a small screwdriver to screw that "something" to the volume?

Of course I did but the back knob just doesn't stay still. The front and fit tightly but the back doesn't.

Something seems pretty odd about that. The outer knob appears to only engage the silver portion of the shaft leaving the brass colored portion to be controlled by the rear knob. Since they're both the same splined design it seems to me the only reason for the set screw would be to keep the knob from being pulled off, not to allow it to turn the shaft. :confused:

Just received my 717 and it's so funny that when I open the box, the volume knob falls out into two parts. I still can't find a way to put them back :( what should I do?

Hehe :) The same problem but with my old 727 returning from test and repair. At first I considered UPS to blame for the "damage" but my friend has found the two screws on the rear knob and I've fixed them. :)