The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

That's what I'll do.  No sense is using that POS pot.  I'd also bridge all the resistors involved with the pot. 

No way for me to unsolder the pot without destroying the PCB, it has solding points on top and bottom.  :-

Next steps are:

First i remove the resitors on the bottom of the pot and test what happens!

Second step i make a plan to isolate this crapy thing?

Its a Nightmare! :mikey2:

It wasn't randomized but the box is an easier indication that it is an earlier pair with possibly the better construction (less parts, better seal in the housing)

Although some of those are the later version with the older box, the switch already happened during that period, for instance 705xx and above already have the later housing, I am pretty sure of that.

So unfortunately changing the stickers without the older box might not be enough to push up the value :)

Whether that makes a big difference to the sound is another story...I guess people who like the SR007Mk1 sound would be happy with any version, in the end I sold them all (only realizing later, that one was better than the rest).

*** Truly the Holy Grail of MK1 Headphones- the 4th Pair EVER MADE ***

Haters gonna hate.  Clearly a supreme collector museum piece, a part of headphone history.

Seriously who fell for the trap?  

I bought this pair, Ricky. I didn't care about it being the 4th pair, but was looking for an early pair in the 70xxx serial number. I thought the price range for 007,mk1 was $1600 to $2200, depending on condition. Am I wrong?

I bought this pair, Ricky. I didn't care about it being the 4th pair, but was looking for an early pair in the 70xxx serial number. I thought the price range for 007,mk1 was $1600 to $2200, depending on condition. Am I wrong?

Sounds about right, with 1600 being for a fairly used pair, perhaps without the case. And this pair apparently came with an extension cable (probably the older one) which is propably worth $50.

Did you pay his asking price?

He offered the same pair to another member for 1400 Iirc then renegged.  I sold a pair less than a month ago for around 1500.

It should be alright as long as it hasn't been abused.

If it does go wrong then it is a bit fiddly to repair than the later version Mk1s as the cable entry is a bit more difficult to access for repair (reason for the better sealing) but it still possible.

As long as you avoid putting any tension on the cable entry (e.g. stepping on the cable and pulling it) it should be fine.

So don't worry about it. One thing you might want to do is check if the channel balance is perfect.

Edited by padam

He offered the same pair to another member for 1400 Iirc then renegged.  I sold a pair less than a month ago for around 1500.

I have a similar experience with the seller, and I don't think he is very trustworthy.

What would be the best/safest way to have a new cable installed if needed? Through Stax or third-party? (I haven't received the pair yet, so don't know what sort of repairs they'll need.)

These are very hard to work on so I wouldn't attempt a DIY repair and have Stax do it.  The cable might still work but it's a very old Mk1 so the cable is doomed regardless...

Also check for dust in the drivers as that's one of the reasons the housing was changed.  All the early Mk1 drivers I have here were removed due to dust issues.

Yes, paid $2,250. The $1500 sounds like a great price for the buyer! Oh, well, I've made worse purchases.

These are very hard to work on so I wouldn't attempt a DIY repair and have Stax do it.  The cable might still work but it's a very old Mk1 so the cable is doomed regardless...

Also check for dust in the drivers as that's one of the reasons the housing was changed.  All the early Mk1 drivers I have here were removed due to dust issues.

Okay, thanks for the info, Birgir.