Quad 9L Active

Hopstretch

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard 9 or 11 Actives, but around here the 12L Actives are a known quantity (and that quantity is known to be good.) I'm unsure of the price difference between the 11s and the 12s, but I can't imagine it is earth-shattering. So if you are serious about getting Quad active monitors, why don't you get 12s, the mini-monkey.gif?

Are there any head-casers who have heard the 12L Actives and not liked them?

• 9 months later...

I received the 9Ls today. Lanemart is a good vendor. Color is black, but it has sort of a pearly sparkle to it, which i suppose is meant to be "fun," but i dont like such types of fun. Fit n finish is very similar to the 12L but considerably smaller. That said, they are still big, much bigger than the Audioengine A2. I guess around the same size as the A5. I wish they were smaller. I ran them out of the PWD and holy mid-bass hump batman. They sounded very good when dialed in, but I need to play with them a bit and get the positioning right because they can get a little thumpy in the midbass, which I suppose isn't surprising given that they supposedly are voiced for desktop use, which always seems to mean midbass hump. I think removing the grills might help. They're ugly anyway.

• 3 months later...

Usually, I have the 9L connected to the PWD. But I have tried it through the 9L's internal USB DAC, too. Not really enough to form a real impression, but it didn't sound noticeably bad through the USB. But since I have the PWD right next to the puter, it's just as easy.

I know this will probably get me banned, but I really want the B&W MM-1 speakers.

Not too hot, but I'll confirm.

Thanks! I'd be using them at low volumes for say a few hours max at a time. If they were barely warm that would be great. I'm going to stick them inside my TV cabinet (top two slots in this):

besta-boas-tv-storage-unit-white__0088925_PE220587_S4.JPG

you cannot tell from that pic. but there is some ventilation in those shelves, that's open below for the last inch or two. Even so, I'd like them to be pretty cool.

• 4 weeks later...