Quad 9L Active

Hopstretch

626.jpg

The new 9L Active Monitor continues the Quad tradition of great sound in a new compact package ideal for a broad range of applications. Each speaker is powered by its own internal 60 watt amplifier that has been tuned specifically for this speaker, providing outstanding performance.

The 9L Active features an internal DAC that allows direct connection to a computer via USB. There’s also line inputs via RCA and a 3.5mm input designed to accept signal from a portable device, such an iPod. An IR remote control (included) selects source and controls volume. Finishes include Deep Black, Ruby Red and Yellow Green.

The versatile Quad 9L Active can be used as the main speakers for a hi-fi system, high quality desktop computer monitors, in office systems, bedroom setting and as an outstanding upgrade for television speakers.

You’ll be amazed at the incredible sound from such a diminutive speaker!

Specifications :

• System: Two Way

• Cone Bass Driver: 4”

• Soft Dome Tweeter: 1”

• Enclosure Design: Ported

• Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohm

• Frequency Response: 50Hz – 21 kHz

• Power Handling: 75 watts

• Short Term Peak SPL: 105dB

• Dimensions: 9.9”H x 6.1”W x 8.2”D

Could be a decent Audioengine A5 alternative, but I'm really not sure about those finish options! Purple lilac? ???

Screenshot2010-03-02at64115PM.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 9L has been around, insofar as Quad is concerned, for quite some time, but they either seem to have been unobtanium, mega priced (higher than the 12L active), or fading backwards into the fog. I first read about them, I am sure, more than a year ago. And name 9L I am certain pre-dates the L2 series and post-dates the Micro-ESL (which never made it to market). The Platinum Series Electronics have been on the rumour mill for some time too, and as far as I'm concerned (with Quad history on gear ranges) were vapourware.

Quad have an average product range refresh of about once every ten years given their history but this level of progress seems to be along the same lines as the historical consideration of the number of razorblades. It's been just over ten years since the 99 series arrived first time round (1998 main demos). And in that time there have been 2 CD player updates (one from the CD-99 to the CD-S and one from the CD-P to the CDP-2 [ the dash seems to vary in the case of the latter ]), 1 dynamic refresh (the L2 range [new tweeters, new feet, uglier]), 2 new dynamic products (the Quad L-ite and the 9L), entry in to active speakers (9L, 11L, 12L), 1 refresh of the old ESL-63 design options (988 and 989 to 2805 and 2905), extension of the valve amp range with the II-80 and a bit of faux-sentimental product in the gold plated II series. These refreshes and extensions alone seem to add up to more than the total number of all of the new Quad products in the preceeding 60 years.

They look interesting, yes, but if the 11L and 12L actives get a USB input update that suddenly makes them less interesting to the level of consumer on this website. Insofar as the lay-web-geek-guy goes. They seem to be aimed at those who at the minute might default to the Audioengine A5 as a more upmarket option. I'll be curious to read about them ( and the Platinum series ), but they're certainly moot from a buy POV.

Is it wrong that I'd rather try a pair of ADAM A7s than 12Ls, when cashflow allows? Likewise A5 over 9L or 11L. When dealing with comparable prices, of course, which can be difficult since I don't really ever see used A7s for sale. I think half of it is the AMT tweeter and half is that Patrick82 owned a pair, and I have a K1k and EMU 0404 USB, so I might as well round out the set.

I know nothing about the Adam A7 so no idea how they compare in terms of sq. I do like the front facing port for office use. I may be wrong but wouldn't that provide a better bass response with the port facing you than facing out, like in my office, to a wall that is 6' or so away?

I know nothing about the Adam A7 so no idea how they compare in terms of sq. I do like the front facing port for office use. I may be wrong but wouldn't that provide a better bass response with the port facing you than facing out, like in my office, to a wall that is 6' or so away?

I think the problems with rear facing ports are that you can't put the speakers too near the wall because it will make the bass all bloated but you can gain a bit of extra bass response if necessary if you have it at just the right distance. Front facing ports don't have that problem/tweak but you may hear some chuffing (doubt it though). The A5 and A7 are nearfield monitors for actual studio use, so they have a lot of built-in EQ to counteract room acoustics and should be pretty flat sounding anyway with all the level adjustments at flat. The carbon fiber woofer seems cool too. I'd actually really like to hear a pair of A5s and A7s.

And I agree that 4" is just not enough, in this situation and others.