Beyer T50P review

Wmcmanus

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is your attempt to fit in, you're not doing a very good job. And no, it's not another tech forum. Read your welcome PM again, it should tell you what you need to know. And I suggest you stop and lurk for a while before you bury yourself even more.

Dude, are you the reincarnation of KBI?

KBI was a lot more incoherent IIRC.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm here to learn and share information, not to socialize.

Funny - it didn't look like Facebook - it looked like a tech forum. Maybe you 2 are in the wrong place, huh?

Fuckface? Well, that is a splendid example of your mentality, motherfucker.

facepalmb.png

So true. I wonder if I can get away using fuckface in my own classroom now that I have tenure? :)

We had the accreditation team on campus this week. They only come once every 4 years, so it's sort of serious business, on your best behavior, etc. I decided that in their honor, I ought to at least wear pants and a long sleeve shirt as opposed to my usual Bermuda shorts and a hockey jersey.

At the session where the accreditation team meets with and interrogates faculty, they asked some pretty pointed questions and we managed (as a group) to come up with some reasonable answers. Then seeing that they had kept us on the hot seat for long enough, one of them lobbed a softball question: "What is your favorite thing about teaching at this college?"

It was a complete change in direction, so nobody seemed to know what to say. After a bit of awkward silence in the room, I broke in with, "Well, this quarter I'm teaching 2 classes with 26 students in total and only one student is male. I kind of like that for some reason."

Nobody was sure whether to laugh or cry. I'm told it didn't go over too terribly well. Oh well, you ask a question...

Edited by Wmcmanus

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Do you get a "full vote" on Head-fi?

It means my opinion doesn't seem to hold much weight here, being in the minority a lot of the time. When I saw the guy make his first post on the day he joined I knew he was done for, but I feel that all I can do is sit back and watch the fireworks. Sometimes it's entertaining to see it unfold and sometimes it makes me sad, but I can't stop reading out of morbid curiosity. He did seem to know what he was talking about and stuck to his guns. I guess I'm too sympathetic, and if it were up to me there would be too much riff-raff staying on board. That might not be a good thing, but maybe jumping the gun on the ban-stick could be detrimental too. I do wish that the "welcome PM" was back, to save the new guys a world of hurt. And no, I don't have a full vote anywhere - even my kids walk all over me (teenagers).

This wasn't a democracy last I checked. That guy acted like a douche and dug his own grave. I don't like instant rejections or banning but this isn't a forum for everyone as has been stated over and over again. No need to keep the failures around after they show themselves.

Edit: I got distracted and Jim said it better than I.

Edited by Voltron

Hm...I don't think I've said it before, so I will now:

There's a big motorcycle board I'm on which recently suffered an exodus. It was a rowdy place where most anything was okay. But the site owner, due to the large amount of grab assing turned asshattery, started to get phone calls and people showing up at his front door bitching about other people grab assing with them. Drama on steroids.

So they clamped down on the rules to make the place a little more civil. Of course, all the fucking funny people left and started their own board. Invite only.

What they didn't do at the new board was put a strong ban hammer in place, and it's apparent to me that all that really happened is the shit stirring moved from one place to another. Also, because there's no back door, and anyone there can invite anyone they want, the place is growing like a weed ... I think it's doomed to recreate an old pattern.

It's not fun to think of the need for a wide open back door, but I swear, it's what makes this place so clean and noise free.

Sure, some innocents get popped in the head from time to time ... such is the price of freedom.

Edited by Tyll Hertsens

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after making almost as much of an ass of myself as dalethorn did, I actually have something useful to post.

I gave the T50p a listening a couple of months ago - gotta say I was quite unimpressed. I didn't like them at all. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd prefer a buffalo fart over them, but... let's just say that I'd put them at under $50 worth in the sound quality department.

In terms of portable 'phones I was comparing to my Alessandro MS-1i - obviously a very different headphone, but portable nonetheless. I also had my HD 600 and the dealer's K701, DT 770 (much better as closed 'phones), DT 880, and a few others on hand to compare with. I tried various source/amps, from my Clip+ and uDAC up to the dealer's Beyerdynamic A1.

The bass and mid-bass seemed overbearing and uneven in response - and not well controlled, either. I'm not sure if I'd call it boomy; but it was unlike anything I've heard before and it didn't sound that good.

The highs were pretty nice - smooth and detailed without being overbearing.

The mids though - in particularly, the upper mids... Well, lets just say that it sounded like there was a gaping hole in the frequency response to me - and there is, of course, if you go check the measurement at HeadRoom.

There's almost a 20 dB increase from 4k Hz to 8.5k Hz. with the T50p. Also, in retrospect after looking at the frequency response graph, the "boomy-ish" bass and uneven response is probably the 300 Hz mid-bass peak and the dip just below the peak.

I was a bit disappointed in the soundstage of the T50p as well. Perhaps that's just down to expectations - the "air" I was hoping for that the Alessandros still provide (even if they don't do have much depth) wasn't even there.

I guess I'm really an open headphones kind of guy.

The build quality is, however, fantastic. The headband is amazing, although i don't really like the looks of the pivot or the cans. Regardless of the looks, they're still built better than any other portable headphone I've seen. The cable is super-thin as you all know, which of course doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. At the very least though, the right angle plug is tiny and rather annoying.

Anyway, that's my quick impressions from a dozen minutes or so listening. I'm sure with more time I might have gotten at least a little more used to the sound signature - but I can already say it's definitely not for me.

• 1 month later...

Just got to listen to the DT 1350 and it sounds pretty damned good. Supposedly they've changed some things and the T50p is changed to match and is now better as a result. Well, I had the old T50p and the new DT 1350 on my desk at the same time and it was pretty much night and day. The 1350 has got lots of low and little in the way of earbleeding highs ... I think Beyer has come to their senses.