New Nano?

blessingx

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up on cable for the interwebs awhile ago, but disappointed with ATV also. Really hoping for an iOS device (though I know interface and especially controller issues are there) for additional functionality and video services through future apps. Wonder if these smaller changes will be enough to significantly boost the ATV over the mediocre 'hobby' sales previously? At least I don't regret the Woot $59 Roku purchase a few weeks ago.

Just noticed that the Roku HD device is only $69 now (it used to be $99). How do you like yours Ric? If the Extreme helps my range, I may get one for the bedroom.

Looks to be an increasingly curved surface (due to thinness), so assuming the jack is completely recessed thought some wider plugs may have issues with front edge. Kinda like iPhone 1G.

As for the Roku, all models prices all dropped yesterday. That timing couldn't have been a coincidence. ;) I like the Roku and the HD version has more output options than the ATV (including TOSLINK - say you wanted to use with conventional DACs and with the Rokus Pandora, RadioTime, etc. channels). Remote and GUI are decent, but you'd never mistake them as designed by Apple. Lets call them functional. For Netflix, you still have to add to queue, etc. on a computer, but play, pause, etc. can all be done with the players remote. The Apple TV obviously has greater communication with your other devices (Roku doesn't communicate with your computers except cloud based settings - Pandora station setup, Netflix streaming queue, etc.). Big win for ATV there. Shame we can have the TOSLINK and local lossless library on the same streamer. :( The choice between the Roku and ATV really depends on those communication and connection needs and how quickly Apple or Roku adds 'channels'/'functionality.' When it comes to that, if I had to leap on faith it would be with Apple. And like adding FM to the nano today, they allowing Netflix is hopefully a positive sign of change on their part. A little more open (even if main motivator is market). It's just today I'm a little disappointed as my hopes were rather high for a different OS on the Apple TV.

Looks to be an increasingly curved surface (due to thinness), so assuming the jack is completely recessed thought some wider plugs may have issues with front edge. Kinda like iPhone 1G.

Ah, that makes sense. Just looked at my 2nd gen Touch and you're right, the jack is in the same spot, but the edge is nowhere near as curved as it is on the updated Touch.

I picked up the Roku HD. I was going to buy a dock to VGA cable for the ipad to stream Netflix upstairs (not even sure that is possible now that I think of it). Decided for the difference in price, this was a better solution. I can always give it to my parents if I get an Apple TV in the future (they like getting "hand me downs").

But like being recessed, the angle of the curve can also determine the difference between the start of the jack and any edge that gets in the way of a large plug that needs clearance, right? Or put another way a curve makes a portion of the jack recessed.

Edited by blessingx

I have zero need for the touch, and pretty much no need for the nano, but a nano along with the jh13s would be the perfect gym rig. Good thing I'm on a buying ban.

I wouldn't want anything with a capacitive touch display for use at the gym and I really don't like the lack of lock function so that you can't inadvertently bump the sleep/wake button.

Shelly and Mike, sorry for the newby question but is it easy to set up the Apple TV with netflix? My wife wants to join netfilx and if the Apple TV can be made to work with it I am in. If you would not mind sending me a PM with a link to where I can learn more I would appreciate it. Thanks.