Google Android OS

manaox2

Heh.  There's nothing more annoying that the stupid "shutter" sound of a cell phone camera in just about any situation but there are lots of non-creepy situations where I'd like to discretely take a picture.  It always used to be off when my phone was on vibrate, where it spend 99% of it's life, and now even with system sounds muted it still makes the dumb noise.

I'm on Verizon Nate, wasn't really that bad at all. If you still use an S3, now might be a good time to start thinking about rooting and unlocking to allow it to keep up with the future phones.

Here is a toolkit that will work on all 14 major variants of the Galaxy S3. On windows, it will install drivers, root, help you unlock, install recovery, and much more. All you have to do is enable USB debugging in the developer's menu of the phone (Go to phone info and tap the build info until it says "you are now a developer" to access it). Probably a good idea to allow unknown apps to run as well.

www.skipsoft.net/?wpdmdl=18

EZ unlock will unlock the bootloader with one click once you are rooted: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/32456-app-920-ez-unlock-14-easiest-way-to-unlock-your-bootloader/

EZ recovery will let you update your recovery easily: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mmmeff.ez&hl=en

Here are the latest clockworkmod recoveries: http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

First thing I would do after rooting and flashing a recovery is to make a backup (preferably to sdcard1).

If you want to flash a ROM, I recommend paranoid android. I posted instructions in post #631 above.

XDA-developers has a forum for each carrier and phone that is usually very active. They have the best info if you need something. Hopefully that is all you will need. :)

Yeah, Ric. That was a bit of a shocker. Did you go the extra $25 for one of the wood backs?

We had a coupon and 'upgrading' wasn't an option. White front/cement back/orange trim picked out by GF. Have a feeling OS releases just got delayed, though I hope it will be business as usual for awhile.

I'm sure you're right and there will be options. We're an iOS household primarily, but have Android gear around and have always gone Nexus. This felt the first time we could stray and still stay in the Google family. Funny timing is all.

EDIT: Wow, they're fast. ;)

vdz6.jpg

Edited by blessingx

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Download the paranoid android 4.0 alpha (Beta will be out in a few days) on xda developers (I have the Verizon S3).

Download the paranoid android gapps from goo.im (I'm on 11-26 build).

Have a rooted phone and unlocked boot loader, boot into clockworkmod or twrp recovery and flash the ROM first (install zip file from sdcard).

Clear data/factory reset and then flash the gapps.

Wipe cache and reboot system. From there you just install apps from play store and set up your accounts.

So, what's up with PA these days? Seems to be stalling a bit. I noticed that the OTA updates for my S3 (ATT) seem to be unavailable, presumably because the maintainer isn't doing their job. I like it a lot so far, but unsure what the future looks like. Perhaps I'm missing something? 

Do not update to stock 4.3 OTA if at all possible on Verizon at least. They have added KNOX trusted boot protection which will relock the boot loader and you will lose access to custom software like ROMs and kernels.

PA is back to being mostly AOSP for the time being and they are rewriting and optimizing everything for Kit Kat. For the S3, it's on the second revision of beta 6. Expect PIE controls could be added back in in the next release. It's very stable and smooth right now, but lean kernel is a must for decent battery life. I'm getting updates for it about once a week currently.