Google Android OS

manaox2

If it's just for watching Netflix, do you really care?  And I think, techincally speaking, that the OS is actually Android.

I didn't realize that it was different now.  I tried one of the original Kindle Fires and the UI was horrible.  I became quickly frustrated even doing simple tasks.  I might take a look at them now that the OS is different. 

What touch screen issues have you seen reported with the Nexus 7?

There have been many reports of the touchscreen not responding to touches on the screen and many other things.  The newest update to Android seems to have fixed most of the problems but there are people who still have problems even after the update.  I just don't want to deal with that.  

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/17/nexus-7-2013-android-4-4-kitkat-first-impressions/

I was also looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.  

Edited by shellylh

I wonder if Amazon will view Netflix as enough of a threat to kill the Netflix app on the amazon App Store...

Perhaps, but I suspect they'd worry more that killing that core app would keep their 'modern Sears & Roebuck' catalog out of people's hands. Selling more books, toys, shoes and $285K Chagall paintings over just increased Amazon Prime members.

• 3 weeks later...

Just took my Note 2 off stock, and onto an early CM11 (Kitkat) build yesterday, and wow!  4.4 is quite a nice functional upgrade from the last several, and the full-screen Google Now page integrated into the home screens has to be one of my favorite features.

Using the Plasma Kernel, I've got access to all the features of the Wolfson DAC, and set up correctly, the phone sounds surprisingly good with my JH13's.  Playing high-res stuff, it's not quite up to the level of the HM801 and 901, but closer than I ever would have expected from a phone.

• Like 1

And it's a hell of a lot more stable at this point than ICS or any iteration of JB was! :)

Agreed, 4.3 caused plenty of wake locks and reboots for me. Seems Samsung still hasn't managed to get it fully stable enough to release the stock 4.3 update on most galaxy devices I've heard. I think they should skip straight to 4.4 at this point.

What process did you follow to upgrade your S3?

Download the paranoid android 4.0 alpha (Beta will be out in a few days) on xda developers (I have the Verizon S3).

Download the paranoid android gapps from goo.im (I'm on 11-26 build).

Have a rooted phone and unlocked boot loader, boot into clockworkmod or twrp recovery and flash the ROM first (install zip file from sdcard).

Clear data/factory reset and then flash the gapps.

Wipe cache and reboot system. From there you just install apps from play store and set up your accounts.

• 1 month later...