Google Android OS

manaox2

Stock on my GS3 because it seems to be a popular enough item that it receives somewhat timely updates.  Really what I need to do is get off Verizon so I can be done with their locked versions of everything but other providers up here simply do not provide the level of coverage, which is maddennig.  I'd love to hear suggestions for how to get around that.

Kind of what Chris said. I keep saying I'll get around to rooting the nexus 7, but I never do. I've had it almost a year. I guess I haven't felt a pressing need. I have no desire to root the phone.

And moar pixels is moar better as far as I'm concerned. There's gotta be a reason why imagesetters work at 1200 ppi. I don't know what the real headroom you need on top of that old 300 ppi rule of thumb might be, but I'm guessing a couple hundred percent. Type at 300 ppi looks pretty bad if you look closely. The screen on this S4 is 2k pixels over less than 4 inches and it's noticeably better than screens that are "good enough". There Will be a point where the trade-off no longer makes sense, but I'll don't know what it will be.

Edited by CarlSeibert

I've had three Android phones and felt the need to root/recovery and install custom ROMs for all of them. Think I even did some Terminal stuff to change read/write permissions and init.d at some point. Not a fan of stock bloatware and enjoy tethering and changing my CPU frequency changing characteristics, mainly to prolong battery life. For my current phone, an AT&T branded S3, I also rooted/ROM'd to get T mobile's latest features on 4.1.2 like Multi Window and Wifi calling and some other stuff like Call Recording and SMS/MMS tweaks. And I could never use Android without Titanium Backup or something similar, which also requires root. Running SuperSU and Busybox. 

The big advantage to rooting your android phone is then you get to track every remote exploit and fix them yourself, instead of having to have your vendor do it as part of their job.

That's only if you load a custom rom. My rooted Nexus applies the updates just fine :)

Not everyone wants the same exploits/theming/functions, which is the point of rooting it and having tons of different ROMs and ROM devs out there to choose from. It's also fun, at least for me, to delve deeper into how my phone works. If everyone wanted the same consistent experience across the board with everything locked, they would choose Apple, which is totally fine with me.

Yeah, I understand fun, believe me, I just don't have time for that right now (hence the lazy comment).

But my point was, if the only issue is bloatware, there's a halfway point between fully stock and a fully rooted device.  One can disable the bloatware apps (and never see them again) with a stock (Android) phone.

The big advantage to rooting your android phone is then you get to track every remote exploit and fix them yourself, instead of having to have your vendor do it as part of their job.

Ask Apple how well that process goes. I personally have had remote webkit exploits for safari that they took 6 months to create a patch that didnt fix the issue.

Regardless, I don't manage updates they work just fine from Samsung/Google.

I hadn't heard of that in the wild.  But a lot more bugs are caught by vendors than not.  It certainly becomes much more of a full time job to patch every bug found individually.  (And yes, this depends on more than just rooting, generally.  It's the roms that get exploited.  But I know you know all this.)

Well creating security issues is my job.

It is pretty common to use advertising for things like this. We call it "malvertising". I honestly do not have much of a reality check on what people perceive to be possible or pervasive, but it is interesting this is something you havent run across. We have actually sold technology to a lot of the big online presences that rely on advertising via banners to prevent these malicious images from getting syndicated.