Great American Beer Fest

Sherwood

Here in Colorado, we are somewhat spoilt for festivals. Between RMAF and GABF, most of the esoteric items in the world I would truly want access to are annually dropped on my doorstep for my consumption.

So I'm going to attempt to give back, in an ever-so-slight kind of way.

Take a look at this list here and tell me if there's anything you've always wanted to try, or wanted someone else to try and confirm your feelings, and I'll find it and drink it for you, with notes.

My tastes are broad, and I've picked up a respectable amount of knowledge in a few years of attendance, so hopefully I can shed some light on something for you.

Of course, if you simply have a recommendation, I'll happily take those too. There's more beer than I can drink, even one ounce at a time, so I like to plan my trip ahead of time.

Cheers!

My list would look something like this (my list is alphabetical, as I wrote them down as I thought of them, so as not to provide duplicates, you're going to want to map a "shortest distance staggered" route):

Allagash,

Avery,

Bell's (obviously),

Bison,

Brooklyn (I mean, c'mon, how can you not like a company who makes a "Black Ops":

Barrel-aged in Woodford Reserve bottles. Brooklyn Black Ops does not exist. However, if it did exist, it would be a robust stout...They say there are only 1000 cases. We have no idea what they’re talking about.
...),

The Bruery,

Dogfish Head (obviously),

Duck-Rabbit,

Goose Island,

Great Divide,

Lagunitas,

Left Hand (obviously),

Pike,

Rogue,

Russian River,

Sierra Nevada,

Smuttynose,

Southern Tier,

Stone,

Terrapin,

Three Floyds,

Three Skulls (hey, maybe Black Bonny will be making an appearance!),

Tommyknocker,

Troegs (right next to Weyerbacher),

Victory (right next to Weyerbacher),

Weyerbacher (obviously).

unless they are springing some non standard shit I would skip most PA beer great for local drinking but not worth the limited (in the context of a festival) tastes you'll get before you are shot. Here is my short list

Russian River

Three Floyds

Cigar City

Deschutes

Ninkasi

Walking Man

Every Pizza Port ( they brew some incredible beer)

Ballast Point

AleSmith

Bruery

If Triple Rock is pouring a cask/gravity beer I'd grab a taste

I tend to only drink what I can't get at festivals before I drink stuff I can score on tap or in bottles

Agreed. Unless it's something that I can't get myself to buy, like the Black Ops (reviews are mixed for a $35 bottle of beer), or some limited something, like the Bell's Batch series.

Goose Island, Russian River, Three Floyds, and Terrapin are all largely based on reputation, the rest I actually know and like at least one drink from (Avery make a killer Russian Imperial Stout called The Czar, for example, but I know from reputation that they make other good things; Pike make something called the XXXX Extra Stout which is surprisingly good for a $4 big bottle; etc.).

Oh, and scratch Bison -- I got it confused with something else. It's worth trying if "organic" interest you at all, but I ended up not liking it for entirely personal reasons.

And at the Three Skulls "tent" (?), you're basically just looking for cleavage, so don't waste too much valuable staggering time there.

And take into account that this is just one man's opinion, etc. I do love beer, but I'm a relative novice (only really started drinking recently about the beginning of the year).

Edited by Dusty Chalk

BeerAdvocate's Guide to the Great American Beer Festival (GABF) - US - Mountain - BeerAdvocate

- Mile-High. (Mandatory)

No joke. You'll be a mile-high sea level. Due to the higher altitude, the humidity level will be low and the air dry. Drink tons of water before, during, and after your trip; twice as much as you normally would. We also recommend moisturizing your skin, and pack some sunscreen, lip-balm, and eye-drops. The air is thinner too, so don't overexert yourself. Some also recommend eating foods high in potassium; broccoli, bananas, avocado, greens, chocolate, granola, dried fruits, potatoes, tomatoes, etc. As well as foods high in absorbable iron, like red meats.

Fuckin' pussies.

Sherwood, if you haven't tried anything from Bear Republic yet, drop by. More of their beer has been showing up down south and I've been very happy with their Racer 5.

Another brewery I'm happy to see on the list is Bend Brewing. I used to go there regularly when I lived in the area. Haven't been for a few years, but they always had great beer, food and a friendly staff. Likewise Deschutes, but they're better known.

Also spent a lot of time at BridgePort in Portland as well as Rogue when I hit the coast.

I've also had a few good brews from Lagunitas - they're worth sampling.

sierra nevada's gonna have some barrel aged life & limb...

if you get the chance, have pooka at the brugge...

have a great time:)...i like to take my camelbak to these things filled with fiji...strangely, i've never needed sunscreen at a festival...must be some weird body chemistry at work...

per DFH:

Here is what we're planning to pour - come by our booth to try some of them out.

1) Theobroma

2) Palo Santo Marron

3) Chateau Jiahu

4) Midas Touch

5) Bitches Brew

6) Portamarillo

7) GrainToGlass

per Founders:

Here's what we'll be pouring at #GABF: Porter, Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS), Devil Dancer, Dirty Bastard, and Centennial IPA

try the canadian breakfast...you will likely never get the chance again...

new glarus would be a good place to stop...