What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

red breast 12 - c'est le bon temps rouler

And another back at you, fine sir. Let the good times roll, indeed, for today is Fat Tuesday, and hard times are ahead (but only if you fall for all that gotta cut back for Lent bullcrap).

Cheers, everyone!

Nice flourish, Marc!

Although I won't be engaging in the bullcrap I see no reason not to celebrate the last chance for some other lenten suckers. Having a dram of Old Rip Van Winkle in the office while waiting to meet with folks still in a deposition at 7:15pm.

À la tienne, mes amis!

I totally forgot it was Fat Tuesday and made myself a Jap-a-lac (at least it has rye in it). I think a Vieux Carre is in my future. :)

Jap-a-lac

This was a quite nice and fruity drink. Not a favorite but certainly a keeper (maybe moar rye and less orange juice next time).

Juice of 1/4 an orange

3/4 oz Wild Turkey Rye

3/4 oz Dolin Dry

1 tsp Monin Raspberry syrup

Cheers!

FmKX9.jpg

Nice cocktails Marc and Shelly. The Pisco Sour is classic Marc. My minor experimentation with the Jap-a-lac suggests it does not suffer from using a higher proof rye ;)

Starting off this Fat Tuesday pretty predictably with a properly prepared Sazerac using my previous rye/cognac recipe

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

I will be giving up 20 lbs of fat for lent. I figure I need to do two of the following three things: 1. Exercise more 2. Eat less 3. Drink less.

Guess which two I picked.

Mikey, do you receive scotch from direct overseas sources? I found a cachaca website in Brazil that claims they can no longer ship to the US, which I found hard to believe...

I get about 50% of my stock from outside sources... There are a lot of companies that just straight up wont ship to the US because of the import issues. Some have importers license in US, so they can guarantee delivery. Others are more like 'we will ship it, but we cannot do anything if it does not get to you'. So sometimes you take a risk... I have been pretty lucky over the years, only one bottle didn't make it.

Just a little rum for the Fat Tuesday:

0308012018.jpg

Never had Vya.

Nice drink Jim! I'll have to try some cognac in my next Sazerac. I say you choose exercise more and eat and drink the same. That is what I would choose. Of course, I haven't made so much progress on my weight loss. ;)

That rum looks good Mikey.

Vieux Carre!

Laissez les bon temps rouler! :)

g7mUk.jpg

Edited by shellylh

(Not Quite An) Oriental Cocktail

1.5 oz rye (Redbreast 12)

.75 oz curacao (Creole Shrubb)

.75 sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica)

.5 oz lime juice

Shake and strain. Garnish with a cherry.

Fantastic modification! The Redbreast really works here. Has anyone tried it in a cocktail?

4ac15198-05e2-d7bf.jpg

Edited by luvdunhill

Never had Vya.

Nice drink Jim! I'll have to try some cognac in my next Sazerac. I say you choose exercise more and eat and drink the same. That is what I would choose. Of course, I haven't made so much progress on my weight loss. ;)

That rum looks good Mikey.

Vieux Carre!

Laissez les bon temps rouler! :)

g7mUk.jpg

Yum! I cannot wait to get my new Armangac!

Subbing redbreast for rye? I'm gonna call foul...I love RB, but it's not a rye, at all...

Yeah, that's the artistic license part :)

Also, Creole Shrubb is technically a rum.

The Oriental is already a strange one. Any other cocktails that use rye and lime? That's weird to begin with.

This is a nice one for sure.

Edited by luvdunhill

The Vieux Carre is excellent looking and I'm betting it tastes excellent with the Armagnac Shelly.

Hmmm, well that is a bit of artistic license but I can see the oriental working with the redbreast. I've used the redbreast in a Blackthorn, but nothing else. BTW, the package should be landing tomorrow.

Next up is The Ramos Gin Fizz

1 1/2 oz. gin

1 Tbsp. simple syrup

1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice

1/2 oz. fresh lime juice

1 fresh egg white (pasteurized if you like)

1 oz. heavy cream

3 drops orange flower water

1 oz. club soda

Combine first seven ingredients in a shaker with crushed ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a glass. Top with club soda and stir.

IMG_0097.jpg

Pasteurized eggs are for wimps. I'm starting my exercise regimen by exercising my immune system.

Edited by morphsci