What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Then it's a Broody Maly. There, I said it. So sue me. :ph34r:

I said a while ago that the new HC face looked a little slanty eyed to make fun of us Asians. I was rightfully shot down at the time as a newb. But it turns out I was right the whole time! :P

Having a Guinness with dinner.

Redid the Lions Tail from yesterday. had to reduce the Allspce Dram from 3/4 oz to 1/4 oz. I think the good doctor has some burnt out buds or he is just crazy about cloves and coriander. Also bumped up the Bourbon from 2 to 2 1/2 oz, which is never a bad thing. Much, much better. Way more balance to all the flavors.

Today's drinks:

Started off with FFF Behemoth - whoa, this was fucking awesome (completely agreeing with Al), seriously seriously good. :dance: Thanks Mike!

LxLpP.jpg

Next up was an equally truly awesome red wine (2009 Orin Swift Abstract - a blend of Grenache, Petite Sirah, and Syrah) - so good. I really need to try a bottle of their "Prisoner."

XUBZQ.jpg

Lastly, an after dinner Picon Punch:

1 tsp grenadine

2 1/2 oz Torani Amer

1 oz Cerbois Armagnac

San Pellegrino sparkling water (sub for soda water)

Good stuff but I think I will save my Torani Amer for the Liberal.

alrYm.jpg

Edited by shellylh

Looking for more drinks to try the Allspice Dram in, so trying the Ancient Mariner, a Navy Grog variant.

3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice

1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice

1/2 oz Simple Syrup

1/4 oz Pimento Dram (St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram)

1 oz Demerara Rum (subbed in Ron Zacapa because I can)

1 oz Dark Jamaican Rum (used Smith and Cross Navy Strength because it kicks ass)

Shake with ice and strain into a double old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint sprig.

IMG_0105.jpg

The Allspice Dram really raises the Navy Grog to a new level. good stuff. Also the tap-icer makes some really nice crushed ice.

Shelly ... awesome evening of beverages ... me = jealous.

Had folks for dinner ... a South African Malbec - 2005 Anura that was excellent (thanks, Stretch) and a 2005 Sonoma Russian River Valley Hook & Ladder Zin, also excellent, but the Malbec was best. Good food (Salmon, Green Beans, wedding potatoes. Then while Becky foisted some awful Creme Brulee apres dinner concoction on herself and our guests, I had some laphroig 10, of which I am still sipping a further wee dram (H-C Glencairn, of course) as my nightcap

Cheers!

An Anejo Highball (Recipe by Dale DeGroff)

I created the Añejo highball as a tribute to the great bartenders of Cuba like Constante Ribelagua from the Floridita, who created the Papa Doble Daiquiris for Hemingway. The añejo evokes the spiciness of the Caribbean rum drinks; curaçao, lime and rum are the “holy trinity” of the island rum drink.

1 ½ ounces añejo rum

½ ounce orange curaçao

2 ounces ginger beer

¼ ounce fresh lime juice

¼ ounce pimento dram liqueur (optional ingredient if available)

2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Build in a highball glass and fill with ginger beer. Garnish with lime wheel and orange slice.

IMG_0106.jpg