What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Sazerac

EDIT:

Interesting thing I noticed tonight while experimenting in order to better understand cocktails. One I made earlier tonight without the lemon had a much stronger absinthe flavor, compared to the normal subtle absinthe flavor. It's surprising (to me) how much difference just a little essential oil makes.

I definitely wont underestimate the influence of seemingly trivial components to a cocktail in the future.

Edited by Fitz

Maybe we'll get some later. It's not a HC tasting so minute-by-minute updates are less likely to happen, unfortunately.

EDIT: I need some recommendations for good Lillet cocktails that work with the usual suspects for liquor, liqueur, and bitters. Any input at all from the senior mixologists is most appreciated. :)

Edited by Fitz

Whoa Shelly!

Allagash Curieux, nice and creamy, me likey.

Decided to BBQ some hot dogs and no wine I have seems to go with BBQ grilled hot dogs. Some people recommend Beaujolais but the Duboeuf Beaujolais I have doesn't go with dogs, Allagash does.

*edit* WTF is up with spell check? Is spellcheck using a Polish dictionary? All my spell checked words come up incomprehensible.

Edited by Augsburger

Sorry, no minute-by-minute updates since I was busy pouring. We started on the right and worked to the left. Favorites were Pappy 20, Parker 27, Stagg (especially after adding a little water), Handy, Laphroaig 18, Redbreast 15. I could have guessed that. :)

Edited by shellylh

A bit of in experimentation. First as the essence of a dry Martini.

15c18a4f.jpg

Gale Force is very mild and subdued, reminds me a bit of Plymouth. North Shore 6 has the most complex herbal flavorings and the most bite. North Shore 11 has less bite and the herbal taste is less up front. Where you want the flavor of the gin to come through, i.e. a Martini, the winner is North Shore 6.

Next we have three mini Vespers.

5e157fb5.jpg

The Gale Force is lost in the Vesper and North Shore 6 dominates the Cocchi Americano. Winner here is the North Shore 11. Very well balanced and you first notice the gin flavors but the Cocchi is not lost and makes a nice complex finish.

Edited by morphsci

Mini gin and Vesper tastings! :)

Fitz: Glad to hear that you are leaning quickly the way of the cocktail! I am embarrassed to say that sometimes I leave out the lemon or orange twist (mostly because I don't have it at the house). :(

I'm having a ridiculous amount of fun with cocktails so far. And don't get me wrong, I quite liked the sans-lemon Sazerac quite well too, it's just that it was surprisingly different than the "standard" version. If one is a big fan of absinthe and/or anise, omitting the lemon twist could actually improve the drink.

Sazerac

EDIT:Interesting thing I noticed tonight while experimenting in order to better understand cocktails. One I made earlier tonight without the lemon had a much stronger absinthe flavor, compared to the normal subtle absinthe flavor. It's surprising (to me) how much difference just a little essential oil makes.I definitely wont underestimate the influence of seemingly trivial components to a cocktail in the future.

Aahh, you are progressing well young Padawan.

EDIT: I need some recommendations for good Lillet cocktails that work with the usual suspects for liquor, liqueur, and bitters. Any input at all from the senior mixologists is most appreciated. :)

First make sure to realize that modern Lillet Blanc has a different, sweeter and less bitter, flavor compared to the older Kina Lillet. In cocktails that call for Kina Lillet, a good substitute is Cocchi Americano. For Lillet Blanc cocktails, one of my favorites is the Bourbon Dynasty.

2 oz Bourbon

1 oz Lillet (white)

1 tsp crème de cassis

2 dashes of Peychaud’s bitters

lemon peel (garnish)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Twist a piece of lemon peel over top, releasing the oils and drop in drink.

Edited by morphsci

Try this with the Lillet even though Cocchi is better:

Corpse Reviver (No. 2)

1/4 Wine Glass Lemon Juice (3/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice)

1/4 Wine Glass Kina Lillet. (3/4 oz Cocchi Aperitivo Americano)

1/4 Wine Glass Cointreau. (3/4 oz Cointreau)

1/4 Wine Glass Dry Gin. (3/4 oz Bombay Gin)

1 Dash Absinthe. (Verte de Fougerolles)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

Awesome experiments in gin, Jim. Thank you for the info.

So far tonight, I have enjoyed a Southern Tier Gemini thanks to a care package from JP! Thanks man!

web.jpg?ver=13119116710001

Edited by Voltron