What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

21 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Blackstar is sublime, a masterpiece of a swansong...

Apparently, this was all according to plan.  He was a fucking artist to the end.  He recorded it in the early months of 2015 and saved releasing it until his death was imminent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12092542/Bowies-last-album-was-parting-gift-for-fans-in-carefully-planned-finale.html

:cry:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skullguise said:

It'll sound kind of creepy/corny, but it's like he martyred himself for the music & art....and he may be the only one to get away with it.

No, he's been battling cancer for 18 months, so he was already 6 months in when he recorded it, I think it's the other way around -- it was a -- very deliberate, admittedly -- swan song.  A "going away gift", as it were.

Oh, we're in agreement....

I compare to someone like Johnny Cash.  (My interpretation) As he got older and saw his mortality, he kept on and sang music of some great reflection, "accepting" his death.

To me, Bowie saw it and USED it as part of his art.  That's what I mean by martyr....not that he WANTED to die, but facing it was done in a way that only he could.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shellylh said:

I'm very confused....

I quoted you in a draft post a few days ago, then never replied (for some other thread). Then today i went to post in this thread but your quote was still in my text box and I couldn't delete it. Had no choice, had to phantom quote you.

14 hours ago, skullguise said:

Oh, we're in agreement....

I compare to someone like Johnny Cash.  (My interpretation) As he got older and saw his mortality, he kept on and sang music of some great reflection, "accepting" his death.

To me, Bowie saw it and USED it as part of his art.  That's what I mean by martyr....not that he WANTED to die, but facing it was done in a way that only he could.

Yeah, absolutely in agreement on the bolded section.  Man, I couldn't do that.  To me, it'd be more like a deadline, I'd have to wrap up whatever I was working on and make sure it was finished to the point I could turn the reigns over to someone else before I passed.  I mean, without deadlines, I'd get nothing done, so if/when I finally release a recording, expect my imminent death to follow.  Don't worry, that's not as morbid as it sounds, I haven't even started into pre-production.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aardvark baguette said:

mashup of nine inch nails, the Folgers coffee commercial, and many other things.

You know, this may actually qualify as a guilty pleasure.  On the one hand, it's how my brain works.  When a song I'm not familiar with comes into my head, my mind will abhor the vacuum of the missing piece and put something else in its place, and then I'll have a medley/mashup playing in my head like that.  On the other, it's less obscure stuff, so much easier to recognize the constituent pieces, and also -- more earwormy.

I'll have to go back and listen to Girl Talk later, but I'm resuming this right after Knucks' show.