"Nerve ends tic in flicker-book animation,

one eye's closed in fear/anticipation,

will it stay shut?  will it ever open?

'what if?' 'what if?"

Nerves...

Tell-tale tongues lick at seven senses

Brittle spittle sparks

You are defenseless

The fabric of dreams is ripped apart as you feel the twist of the shadowed dagger

In your pumping heart

Nerves!"

Bauhaus -- yup, that's pretty much all you need.  Unless you like the "Slice of Life" stuff, in which case you may need to delve into Tones on Tail.  They have a two-disk set called Everything which is, literally, everything they've ever done.  And then there's Love & Rockets...

Re: country -- I don't usually listen to country, but one of my best friends is in a country band, and I've quite taken to them.  They have some delicious guitars and amps and microphones...it's just too bad they don't have a version of their quintessential song, "If I'd Shot You Sooner, I'd Be Out of Jail by Now".  Lollers.  They also do a lot of what I call retro revival -- think Sun Studios era rock'n'roll.

Opeth_MAYH.jpg

I gave this a try after a few people here had it rated in their top 5 desert island albums lists.

Boy am I glad I did!

The musicianship and instrumentals are incredible. The growly vocals feel like an acquired taste, but that didn't hurt my enjoyment of the album.

• Like 1

i dont have the back catalog to compare to, but it's a damn strong album.  they have an interesting sound, the guitars aren't overly sharp edged, and with octave vocal dubs and some industrial sounding parts to my ear.  like if you blended gravity kills with depeche mode or something.

it's been my commute music all week.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2016 at 0:38 PM, aardvark baguette said:

i dont have the back catalog to compare to, but it's a damn strong album.  they have an interesting sound, the guitars aren't overly sharp edged, and with octave vocal dubs and some industrial sounding parts to my ear.  like if you blended gravity kills with depeche mode or something.

it's been my commute music all week.

I don't hear the Depeche Mode, but it's classic Killing Joke.  I've listened to it a couple times this week, and it's a damn strong album, with Geordi's ridiculous playing style -- it's an ES-295, but a particularly resonant one, so it's like running the reverb before the distortion.  Gives Killing Joke a very unique sound.  Some really catchy songs.

But right now I'm listening to wubworld's The Chroniclers of Ruuun -- dark ambient gooey sturm und drang.

• Like 1

Stabbing Westward, Darkest Days

Love this album, easily my favourite of 1998, not sure what made me listen to it again.  Maybe the two oscillator patch on the Metric album that's so hard detuned...will never forget Christopher Hall introducing "Waking Up Beside You" with "have you ever missed someone so much that you masturbated until you bled?"  TMI, Chris, too much information.