Women's World Cup 2012

morphsci

Congratulations to the US women's soccer team on perhaps the greatest comeback victory I can remember in recent history. It is gratifying to see grit, determination and raw talent win out over terrible (horrendous) refereeing and egregious diving. I only hope that the referee is not allowed to call a FIFA match for the rest of humanity's existence.

And just to put the exclamation mark on it the president of the university was driving by as Karen was doing her Brandy Chastain in our driveway. It was nice of him to wave.

• 2 weeks later...

Your Team Loses on Penalties, in the World Cup?

You may now have some insight in to what it feels like to be an Englander, and one of our less auspicious traditions (e.g a Google search for "England lose on penalties" yields About 5,180,000 results )

I heard an interesting NPR report on the magnitude of what Japan managed to achieve

PESCA: This is where the great sports narrative should have kicked in, where the David and Goliath story should have come to pass. But you know what? It did. Only the U.S. wasn't David.

Think about it: One of these two teams was the greatest women's soccer power in history. The other had never won a game in group play before this year. One of these teams had never lost in 25 previous matches against the other. One of these teams comes from a nation where soccer is the most popular team sport among girls; the other comes from a country where only 25,000 girls played the game as of 2006.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/18/138462422/world-cup-u-s-loses-to-japan-on-penalty-kicks

Something to lift the nations spirits after the Earthquake / Tsunami .