AKG K400 - what's similar new?

A9X

Y'all,

I picked up a set of one owner K400 on a whim recently and am enjoying them a lot, at least as a change to the STAX.

Having otherwise been a STAX owner exclusively for 25 years, what else is out there new that has a similar sound to the K400 and is say <$US400 (in the US)? I have a need for another set of dynamics. I'll go out and listen first to as many of the suggestions as I can.

Amps will be Dynalo's.

Cheers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it on good authority that a second pair of K400s will suit you perfectly. They have the sound you're looking for and they are in your price range!

Objection! Another pair of K400s may not, in fact, sound entirely like the pair of K400s he currently has.

I just got a nice pair of K400 on ebay for 50 bucks. Advertised as "noise cancelling headphones" :blink: Would have been quite a fantastic custom job if it was true considering the K400 is one of the openest airiest non cancelingest headphones ever, but it was still a good deal. I'll probably give them to someone.

But you're right, they don't sound as good as I remember the K500 w/ K400 drivers sounding that you sold me a while ago. Which I imagine was pretty much a K400?

:blink: You're not replacing the K400 with those Audio Technica. Really.

No, I have the need for another pair of dynamic cans, as well. Suggestions for Supra-aural, open backed, dynamic cans in the price range please.

I really hoped I would get some helpful answers.

Well, if you ever read your welcome message, you were warned that we like some newbie mocking. This is not the usual "please advise me about this" forum. I for one never listened to the K400, so I cannot give you any advice worth a dime. However for my experience with other AKGs, I suppose something sounding in the same vein should be other AKGs, perhaps 501 or 601.

Well, if you ever read your welcome message, you were warned that we like some newbie mocking. This is not the usual "please advise me about this" forum. I for one never listened to the K400, so I cannot give you any advice worth a dime. However for my experience with other AKGs, I suppose something sounding in the same vein should be other AKGs, perhaps 501 or 601.

I can take some ribbing, but not 4chan grade asshattery. Because I am new to this forum, does not mean I am new to forums at all, especially audio. I probably have 30k posts around the various audio fora. I mainly use speakers, so cans are a secondary interest, though I did use my STAX Sig Pros for most of my listening for a decade before I bought my own residence.

All I was really hoping for was someone who had heard them to pipe in and say 'you might like this' as it's similar sounding. From which I would go and listen and make my own decisions. After using STAX exclusively for 25 years, I was surprsed how much I liked these, even though I've heard quiet a few other dynamics over the years. As I said, I also need another pair of dynamics. I have most of the parts for a pair of Gilmore Dynalos and could use one of these to drive the second pair.

Well I am nt sure you are going to get much information. You have a vintage can that not too many people have heard. Like many vintage headphones it also shows a lot of variation among units so we really do not know what yours sound like. I think you already have the best answer a reasonable person can give you, other vintage or current AKGs.

Well I am nt sure you are going to get much information. You have a vintage can that not too many people have heard. Like many vintage headphones it also shows a lot of variation among units so we really do not know what yours sound like. I think you already have the best answer a reasonable person can give you, other vintage or current AKGs.

That however is a perfectly reasonable response, and appreciated, even if it doesn't directly help. Unlike some of the assinine responses so far. Cheers

You're getting asinine responses because you asked an asinine question. head-fi exists to give the information you're looking for. Head-case exists to entertain it's members. Reread your welcome message, there's a link to it in my signature.

I did read it,

It was a perfectly reasonable question. I've been in plenty of bars where idiotic comments are not needed nor purveyed as some sort of intellect.

If this is some sort of exclusive club, then don't allow new members and just enjoy the group circle jerk.

we certainly allow new members, but if you'd done any reading at all you'd know that "I like this headphone no one's heard, suggest something else I'd like" won't get useful answers here.

Well then those who like to post stupidity could have just shut up rather than be overt asses.

I mainly joined because of the KGHVSS, so I'll keep myself to that discussion, and not waste any more of your precious member's time. They have their hands full anyway.

I used to own a pair of K401s. I now own a pair of K601s (driven by a Dynalo). My brother owns K501s. Do the math. So part of my reply wasn't stupidity. But overall, head-fi exists to entertain these types of questions.

Well then those who like to post stupidity could have just shut up rather than be overt asses.

I mainly joined because of the KGHVSS, so I'll keep myself to that discussion, and not waste any more of your precious member's time. They have their hands full anyway.

You do realize you're acting like the biggest ass here, don't you? Now I'm glad I didn't actually take the effort to make any kind of detailed response, if you consider pointing out the variance in K400s is such an asinine response. :rolleyes:

You do realize you're acting like the biggest ass here, don't you?

Oh, please.
Now I'm glad I didn't actually take the effort to make any kind of detailed response, if you consider pointing out the variance in K400s is such an asinine response. :rolleyes:

You didn't actually do any such thing that would make it clear that you were not just ading another imbecilic response. I obviously didn't get the secret decoder ring that would allow such responses to be clear.

Face palm is right.