KG Balanced Dynahi build discussion thread

Vortex

Not much left on the boards... Waiting for some SAND from bdent...

Somehow missed to order:

• Electrolytics 3 big and 3 small on the DynaPSU x 2
  • 470 uF/35V on the DynaHi. I installed 470 uF/63V which I had ordered wrong. Shouldn't be a problem I guess. Waste of cash... But hey. At least they're put to use. So 6 extra...
  • 2 different bridge rectifiers on the DynaPSU x 2
  • 1MOhm-resistors...
  • 4 x 10 kOhm trim pots x 2 on the DynaHi x 2; Anyone have a part no for the vertical ones? I somehow ordered the horizontal one...
  • Film cap (WIMA) on the DynaHi x 2

And I need to figure out what 20 KLO and KDT are... Dual Tracking? I thought they were resistors and stuffed wrong...

2wgch1h.jpg

Edited by Valentin Hogea

Also, for the KGSSHV are you planning on a two case design? because you can't mount the 10m90s like that with the 3U case.

Digital attenuator doesn't cost that much more compared to what you've already spent... about additional $200. I would go that route. Should provide superior sound and much more refined attenuation.

Your progress is much faster than mine.... I haven't touched mine for a month... I've just been enjoying the KGSSHV...Ay, I really need to get off my lazy butt and get going.

Edit: to just posted:

You probably can't get the KG attenuator anymore... because there was only one run and that was long ago.. I haven't seen a populated or unpopulated board go up for sale for a long time.

However, the AMB R-2R digital attenuator uses the exact same chipset and same voltage as the KG attenuator. This only difference is the Relay voltage. You can also use their LCDuino controller. I'm sure you can fit it in there.

Edited by jwzhan

Hi guys!

Need some advice on 2 caps for the DynaHi-boards...

1st] WIMA (most likely) film caps 0,47 uF. 1 per board. What voltage rating and tolerance?

2nd] 0.1 uF film cap2 per board. What voltage rating and tolerance?

And a secong thing...

The bridge 512-KBL02 is obsolete. Any tips on a replacement?

---

Also, for the KGSSHV are you planning on a two case design? because you can't mount the 10m90s like that with the 3U case.

Digital attenuator doesn't cost that much more compared to what you've already spent... about additional $200. I would go that route. Should provide superior sound and much more refined attenuation.

Your progress is much faster than mine.... I haven't touched mine for a month... I've just been enjoying the KGSSHV...Ay, I really need to get off my lazy butt and get going.

Edit: to just posted:

You probably can't get the KG attenuator anymore... because there was only one run and that was long ago.. I haven't seen a populated or unpopulated board go up for sale for a long time.

However, the AMB R-2R digital attenuator uses the exact same chipset and same voltage as the KG attenuator. This only difference is the Relay voltage. You can also use their LCDuino controller. I'm sure you can fit it in there.

Why can't I mount them like that with a 3U-case? I've seen several other builds like that? Please explain as I'm a novice. Regarding the KG Attenuator, some resurrected interest in making new boards might have appeared. Check the thread and show interest if interested... :)

---

I'm thinking of doing a 5U Dynahi/DynaPSU-build with the boards stacked on each other with 80-90 mm screws between the boards like this:

4kfk46.png

As to why that type of mounting won't work for KGSSHV, the amp boards just doesn't leave enough clearance room for the PSU, and you can't really mount the amp boards above the PSU without drilling holes on the PSU board for support stand-offs.

It might work for the dynahi. The heatsinks are going to be warm though, because they are dissipating (should be) some 30+ watt of heat each at all times.

You can play around with it, and maybe it will even work for the KGSSHV.. but mounting like this becomes really annoying when you have to troubleshoot the one on the bottom...

• 4 weeks later...

yep, I'm pretty sure the 1N4007 diode silkscreen is flipped.

I just made a LTSpice file for the PSU, and it's giving me -0.8V for the negative rail with flipped 1N4007 diode which is consistent with what I got this morning. So if you are using v0.2 board... remember to flip it back.

Also, the silkscreen for the on-board heatsink version is also flipped. No idea how I didn't spot that before....

Edited by jwzhan

After reversing the diode, the PSU powered up to ±30V flawlessly. I didn't use the dual track, but the negative rail and positive rail was only different by 0.01V (+30.19V and - 30.18V.) I'm not sure that dual track will make much of a difference.

• 3 weeks later...