KG Balanced Dynahi build discussion thread

Vortex

I'll be using a 10K balanced volume control. Balanced gain will be 10 by changing R52, R56 to 50K and C1, C3 to 5 pf.

Would this be appropriate KG? Is there a calculation for gain and frequency response?

Edit: if I change the resistors to lower gain do I also have to change the caps? Thought the roll off frequency is fixed based on cap size...

I'm not sure if it's 5V RMS or PP it doesn't say on the DAC's website :/

Edited by Aive

Hey KG, thanks for the response. If I just want to halve the gain do I use 100k resistors? What would be the associated capacitance values?

Edit: ordering bits in OZ is a pain in the ass so I'm including a few component options in my list...

Edit2: Man this compensation capacitor theory is voodoo, been trying to learn about it all night - most optimal solutions = get a CRO and wave form generator and trial >< dayum. I should've stolen one from my uni days :/ Will be getting a rigol next year though, gonna be so handy for this diy goodness.

Edited by Aive

I really can't get over how good the bass is with this amp, don't feel the same love on my GS-X although the treble is smoother on it. Ended up ordering a Rigol 1054Z DSO for more tweaking pleasure :P

Ppl looking for a DSO/CRO should look into this relatively new unit from Rigol. Can option hack it to unlock upgrades too... New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope

20pf for that.  Supersymmetry is guaranteed unity gain, so no issues with any amount of gain.

but gain of 2 unbalanced is as low as you can go with the topology.

but unless you have a very high voltage source, what you could end up doing is clipping the source

and essentially putting very nice square waves into your headphones.

Edited by kevin gilmore

Thanks Kevin, might avoid a gain of 2 then... 

Dumb question, you previously posted some capacitor values for a gain of 11 (55 k feedback resistor) - I'm assuming we want as much bandwidth as possible through the amp, so 3 pf would be the recommended value here? 

5pf is 3db down at 278Khz

3pf is 3db down at 500khz

I think gain of 11 is where I'll start with my tuning...

Edited by Aive

I have some fine (silly) questions for you gentlemen  ;D

I'm at the point of first power on. I'm OK with the biasing method.

What's the most efficient method, biasing with the pot or with shorting resistors ?

Shorting resistor = 1K between I- and Gnd, and another between I+ and Gnd ?

Pot to minimum setting = full clockwise ?

Is there any need of a switch or a soft start between PS and Dynahi ?

What if the source brigs a few mV of DC offset ?

Thank you.