Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2011

Voltron

It's almost that time again. The line-up has been posted on http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/ but the specific times and stages will not be posted until this Friday. I'm sure to be there for lots of it, and Friday is a full day of shows for the first time this year. Check out the schedule and let me know if any other 'Casers will be there.

THURSDAY SEP 29

Children's Program with MC Hammer & P.M.W.

FRIDAY SEP 30 (11am - 7pm)

Southern Culture on the Skids, Thurston Moore, The Del McCoury Band & The Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Charlie Musselwhite, South Memphis String Band, Blame Sally, Chris Isaak, Maxim Ludwig & the Santa Fe Seven, Jolie Holland, Robert Plant & the Band of Joy, Seldom Scene, Mekons, John Prine, David Bromberg Quartet, Bill Kirchen, Zigaboo Modeliste - King of the Funky Drums, Conor Brings Friends for Friday: Bright Eyes, M. Ward, The Felice Brothers, Kurt Vile & the Violators, Woods, Simon Joyner, Jonathan Wilson

SATURDAY OCT 1 (11am - 7pm)

Cass McCombs Band, The Wronglers with Jimmie Dale Gilmore, AllofaSudden, Hugh Laurie, Alison Brown Quartet, Punch Brothers featuring Chris Thile, Robert Earl Keen, Nell Robinson & Jim Nunally & Their All-Star Band, Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder, Buckethead, The Band of Heathens, A.A. Bondy , Earl Scruggs, Kris Kristofferson & Merle Haggard, Reckless Kelly, Steve Earle & the Dukes (and Duchesses) featuring Allison Moorer, Broken Social Scene, Otis Clay with Chick Rodgers, Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit, River Whyless, Irma Thomas, Wendy Bird and her Band of Miscreants, Ryan Bingham & the Dead Horses, Guy Clark & Verlon Thompson, Robyn Hitchcock, Sarah Elizabeth Campbell, Ruthie Foster, Patty Griffin, Seamus Kennedy, The Belle Brigade, Gillian Welch & David Rawlings, Greensky Bluegrass, The Flatlanders featuring Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore & Butch Hancock

SUNDAY OCT 2 (11am - 7pm)

Conspiracy of Beards, Abigail Washburn, Gomez, Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys, Laurie Lewis & the Right Hands, Bob Mould, Dr. John & the Lower 911, Kevin Welch, Kieran Kane & Fats Kaplin, Emmylou Harris , Dry Branch Fire Squad, Bill Orcutt, Moonalice, The Devil Makes Three, Jessica Lea Mayfield, The Low Anthem, Elbow, Justin Townes Earle, The Civil Wars, Those Darlins, Over the Rhine, Buddy Miller, The Swanson Family Band, Frank Fairfield, DeVotchKa, Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain & Edgar Meyer , Joe Purdy, The Jayhawks, Fitz & the Tantrums , Dive Bar Dukes, Ollabelle, The Mother Hips, Dark Star Orchestra, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Hot Buttered Rum

All that talent and all for free! It's a great event, so scheme away Jeff!

Oh my, I'd love to attend that fest. If time permitted, I'd travel serious distance just to see Béla Fleck perform with Edgar Meyer and Zakir Hussain. Winter is coming and time is precious, however.

I am glad Bella is not appearing with the Flecktones because I have seen them before and would like to see a different side of him. I have seen Zakir Hussain in a couple of different settings but this one will be quite different. I don't think I have ever seen Edgar Meyer but if you like him he must be a cool bassist.

Edited by Voltron

Man, that line up is almost my complete Spotify play list. I can't imagine coming up with a reason to be out there for this, but I will be contemplating schemes.

Uhm let's see, How 'bout get to know construction contractors to see how they may tie into the security business. May I suggest a contractor? :D

I saw Edgar Meyer play with Chris Thile in a very small local university venue here a few years ago. Very nice concert - Thile is just an incredible mandolin player, and Meyer pretty much kept up with him musically ... maybe not in stage presence and personality, but musically he did.

On PBS tonight at 9pm before his performance tomorrow...

Hugh Laurie: Let Them Talk...A Celebration of New Orleans Blue

Hugh Laurie explores the rich musical traditions of New Orleans through a tour of the city and performances of a wide variety of tunes, including with Crescent City legends Allen Toussaint and Irma Thomas; and Welsh singer Tom Jones.