Everything posted by nikongod
-
Anything better than HD600...
I should note that I agree with the others - the various DT880/990/T1 can sound quite nice with the right amp(s) but it does require a bit of effort to dial everything in.
-
Anything better than HD600...
I'm pretty sure they were developed to prove that Beyer could build them. They are a standard because everyone knows how they work, not because they are good. "Standard items" don't have to be good - they have to be consistent & readily available for comparison. "In a blind test 99% of participants were able to differentiate the Beyer DT48 from a piece of shit with better than 90% accuracy (20 ABX comparisons). Of the 99% of participants with functional hearing 95% preferred listening to actual dog turd." Is a completely valid statement. They are used for monitoring voice because that is the only thing they are good for.
- HC Bike/Cycling Thread
-
HC Bike/Cycling Thread
I'm planning an epic ride for the weekend, conditional on the weather. That is all I will say as I have already doomed myself to failure for even mentioning it.
-
Apex Peak + Volcano
[Nitpicking start] "grey glass" tubes do not have more shielding than normal tubes. The grey stuff (graphite) was applied to the glass to improve performance in certain conditions. The MFR's all swore that they figured out a way to solve these problems without the grey glass after a certain point, but I think they just got lazy and cheap.[/nitpicking end] Happy you got it to run quietly. Some tubes are just noisy.
-
Distortion from left driver
I know just what you mean. Sleeping with your headphones...
-
Apex Peak + Volcano
The filtering/sheilding is significantly stronger when grounded.
-
Distortion from left driver
Crap, that sucks. If its any consolation, or helps the sale along, KSC75 drivers fit the HD580 holes. You could also get HD600 drivers and pop them in.
-
Distortion from left driver
EEK! Thats not good. Try blowing into the back of the driver VERY gently. Put your mouth over it an give the tiniest puff of air. Exhale 2-3cc, if you can imagine that. Very little air. Just enough to pop it back into place, but not so much to tear the driver off of its mounts. After that, if there are still creases - Repeat the following procedure with a little bit of 3M post-it note and then scotch tape (the gentlest you can find) followed by more agresive scotch tape in order from "you're crazytoast" to "OMFG-WTF-YOLO" Take a piece of adhesive tape and cut it down to a good sharp point. VERY VERY gently press it into the crease. Pull it out. You should feel VERY light tension as you pull the tape out, and HOPEFULLY the dents will pull out with a minimum of effort. Start with 3M post it notes. Hopefully one of these works.
-
Apex Peak + Volcano
Screw heads are usually a good place to try to ground shields, at least temporarily. I'm not sure if you can find them for the tubes you have, but military-grade tube dampers are fucking badass for this sort of thing.
-
Goofy IEM Amp Question
No to the Ettymotic style resistor. Multi-driver IEMs seem to work best with low output impedance, the resistor messes that up. Output transformers might work.
-
Happy birthday, luvdunhill!
Happy Birthday Marc!
-
Distortion from left driver
When I have taken these appart the gunk just brushes off with the gentlest touch of a cleaning brush or a very very soft fine tipped paintbrush. The gunk that accumulate in headphones is kind of gross. Post of the year.
-
Distortion from left driver
You can remove the actual drivers from the HD580 from the back. You take off the grills, take out the cables, take off the "hoops" (also the ones on the bottom) and the drivers can be gently pried out with the stem to the cable connector attached. It is very easy to clean gunk off of them this way.
-
Phone camera to replace digital camera? Samsung Galaxy Camera disappointing
Sweet! When you go somewhere that makes you check your camera, you get to loose your phone too! Alternately when you go somewhere that makes you check your phone you get to loose your camera too!
-
HC Bike/Cycling Thread
Thanks! I do agree with Nate's sentiments WRT to fitness, but its fun to try to improve. Dynolights? I am crazy about mine. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/index.html
-
HC Bike/Cycling Thread
Does anyone out there in TV land have any advice on how to train using the following tools: HRM Cadence Speed I want to loose some more weight (yaay!) Improve endurance and Improve strength. I looked around, but there is quite a lot of info to filter through and absorb.
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning
-
The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.
There is no other reason to buy that lens... But who in their right mind shoots a landscape at F0.95? A whole 6 blades of grass, and half a flower in focus. It is the Flickr way.
-
The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.
High eyeso does nothing for the book-eeh shooters. Yes, I spelled it like that to be annoying. Like people whose entire FLICKR stream was shot at F1.2. I wonder if Nikon (or Canon) knows that they could save a bunch of money by just selling lenses with no aperture adjustment at all? I already don't like the character of the out of focus highlights with this lens. Whycome didnt the bestest lens MFR just make a 58F2.8 DC, with the DC ring locked to eleven? The 58F1.2 does do its thing nicely. Because.
-
Happy Birthday, Carl.
Happy Birthday Carl!
-
Happy Birthday Iron_Dreamer
Happy Birthday!
-
Happy Birthday acidbasement
Happy Birthday!
-
Happy Birthday Boomana aka V!
HAppy Birthday Vicky!
-
RMAF 2013
If you can hold out 9-12 months you can get the LCD-(n+1)