Everything posted by Voltron
-
What are you listening to Part the Third
St. Vincent now playing here as well.
-
Holy Crap! The New Stax Omega Looks fierce! (Stax SR-009)
I'm not sure how the transducer is supposed to make shitty sounding music into anything but shitty sounding music. But I agree -- as I think Andy would -- that if the 009s sounded terrible with all rock music then they wouldn't be great cans. I did not have that experience last night. And I have not done any kind of side-by-side comparisons with other Stax, but I intend to do so with the SR-Omega and SR-007BL. I still do not understand your love of the 007, and even though it sounds good on the BHse it feels muted and distant in comparison to the Omega or the 009. K--XR indeed, although M-XR monoblocks into one of your custome transformer boxes might be pretty cool.
-
Vintage Headphone Brands?
I think those are Ulrasones, for the OP's benefit.
-
Vintage Headphone Brands?
You're right. I'm so stupid!
-
Vintage Headphone Brands?
These older Grados are cool, and they come with a hat:
-
Happy Birthday deepak!
Damn, I hope this cake tastes better than it looks! Have a good one listening to some Bill Evans 45s. Cheers!
-
Holy Crap! The New Stax Omega Looks fierce! (Stax SR-009)
Been listening all night with the Ayre C-5xeMP > Ayre M-XR > BHse w/ xf2 Blackburn EL34 > SR-009 and I have not heard anything I did not like. Fleet Foxes CD, Dave Alvin SACD, Eugene Raffalo SACD, Bill Evans SACD, Joe Satriani SACD. Beautiful, simply beautiful.
-
Your recent music purchases
So, you're liking the vinyl effect, then? I know you love you some Pavement and have the digital realm covered and recovered, so it's good to see you comparing analog.
-
What are you drinking now, pt 2.
Thanks for reminding me!
-
Post the last thing you bought!
The 3-way made the cover of Stereophile! You're so cutting edge out there on the bottom of the world.
-
slower forum
Those Scarjo pics have really sexed up the Slower Forum. NTTAWWT
-
What are you drinking now, pt 2.
Satan's Whiskers (enroulée) Makes 1 drink 1 1/2 ounces gin 1/2 ounce dry vermouth 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth 1/2 ounce Mandarine Napoléon 1/4 ounce fresh orange juice 2 dashes Angostura bitters Instructions: Place all ingredients in a mixing glass. Add ice, shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Yep, that is a 375ml bottle and it is almost gone. I need to stop by Cask and get some vermouth and chinato and whatever else jumps out.
-
slower forum
"A Fudgesicle is a frozen, ice cream-like snack." Necessary, or just hilarious?
-
What are you drinking now, pt 2.
Satan's Whiskers (marcelled) Adapted from a recipe by William Eichinger, Finnegan's Wake, San Francisco. 1 1/2 ounces gin 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth 1 1/4 ounces fresh orange juice 1 teaspoon falernum syrup 2 dashes Fee Brothers Old-Fashioned bitters Instructions: Place all ingredients in a mixing glass. Add ice, shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Read the article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/09/FDHH1KL8RM.DTL#ixzz1XzF7M8yy Lacking any sweet vermouth I used Chinato to good effect. I will try some of the other variations too, but this one with Falernum seemed the most interesting. My favorite Regan quote: "I found that, if I simply called for more gin, rather than pedestrian, Satan's Whiskers can be rather intriguing. More gin tends to have that effect on many drinks, I think."
-
Post the last thing you bought!
I hope that cheeses are wrapped up.
-
And now what did you do TODAY?
Is Prague coming up still, Colin? You should hit the Americky Bar (http://www.americkybar.cz/ http://prague-stay.c...1-americky-bar/) and the Strahov Monastery brew pub (http://www.klasterni-pivovar.cz/en/) and go on the Segway movie locations tour (http://www.praguetou...Date=09/30/2011) with Rene ( Brazilian dude).
-
What are you drinking now, pt 2.
^Lucky!
-
Holy Crap! The New Stax Omega Looks fierce! (Stax SR-009)
Mine arrived in my office and I was going to try to plug it into my HeadRoom Desktop Amp. Is that going to be a problem?
-
The Homebrew Thread
Sounds good Young BrewMattster!
-
Hey Head-Case, what's your bandwidth like?
Cheerio Grahame! Oops, sorry to lag your system...
-
What are you listening to Part the Third
There are actually two of them, remarkably enough. This is the trumpet playing one, but there is also a bass playing one.
-
Your recent music purchases
Those are all great picks Mikey. The Hoffman Sweet Baby James I got on vinyl awhile back sounds awesome and both Skynyrd and Heart are guilty pleasures. I saw Heart from the third row or so while they were still young and hot. That was fun.
-
What are you drinking now, pt 2.
Upping the ante is the right thing to do Jim! My Monte Carlo was even better because it called for 2.25oz of rye! I made another with Lot B bourbon and it was even better than the High West Rye version. Hmm, I wonder if a better rye would make an been better version. To the lab! EDIT: now I can say the Rittenhouse 25 version is super good! Wow.
-
What are you drinking now, pt 2.
Congrat on christening the bar, and a most excellent choice of cocktail. Bravo! I am having a Monte Carlo, but I did not find it in Esquire--online mag or old timey cocktail book. I found a rye whiskey version and went with that, although a bourbon one will follow shortly.
-
What are you listening to Part the Third
Avishai Cohen -- Introducing Triveni