Everything posted by Voltron
-
Happy Birthday pabbi1
Happy BirthDIY Al! Cheers, Al!
-
What are you smoking right now?
A San Cristobal de Habana thanks to Naaman.
-
What are you listening to Part Two
The Bad Plus, Joined by Wendy Lewis -- For All I Care
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Rykarda Parasol -- For Blood and Wine
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Erik Friedlander -- Maldoror
-
SoFla Winter Meet 12/5/09
Bitchez! Not likely to be able to swing another one of these this year...
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Slap yourself out of it. Or drink some of the scotch you just got. The National (self titled)
-
The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!
Heat Sink Pile FTW!
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Built to Spill -- The Is No Enemy
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Hey look! Papa Penguin is listening to music!
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Rosanne Cash -- The List
-
Happy Birthday elnero!
Happy belated! Get well and party like it was your birthday. Cheers
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Air -- Love 2
-
JH Audio stuffs
Anything is possible. The point is that they just haven't taken any steps in that direction.
-
JH Audio stuffs
The JH|13 demos are NOT universals that could be marketed and sold. As penger describes, they are effectively a custom molded monitor but with a smaller nozzle that you can fit a foamy over (so long as you press it on vigorously and push the nozzle through it). That is not something that could easily translate into a true universal fit design.
-
JH Audio stuffs
I'm not sure why you don't want to go custom, Antonio, but I have been making a lot of cross-country trips with lately and the change in comfort alone from Shure E500s to the JH|13 is worth a lot to me. I can have them in for 6+ hours without any discomfort or irritation, etc, and I could never say that about the UE and Shure universals I have had. Plus, it is simply the best sound I have heard from an IEM, so there's that too.
-
The Live Music Thread
Or at least a hairstyle. They really sound amazing together. Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey (who was in Young Fresh Fellows and The Minus 5, plays with REM, and is in The Baseball Project with Buck and Steve Wynn) have been playing with Robyn Hitchcock for a few years now. Their earlier album Ol
-
What did you do today?
That's ass, Mike. I hope you decked her.
-
The Live Music Thread
Thanks Jim, it was a good time. I think you'd walk around looking like Bluto in your avvy all the time if you actually lived out here.
-
2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest & CanJam@RMAF
Well, I actually stayed home with my family so that we could go see shit tons of amazing free music at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. Oh, and by the way, I already posted lots of pics in the concert thread. So suck on that! Still dying to see more of what was going on at RMAF and jealous as hell because I wasn't there.
-
The Live Music Thread
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2009, our free weekend festival in Golden Gate Park put on by a local billionaire. Went yesterday for a couple of shows and today for several more. I forgot the camera yesterday but brought it today. Oddly enough, Elvis Costello has played the festival for several years and released a bluegrass album this year and he wasn't present. Robert Plant, on the other hand, came back unannounced and played with one or two acts yesterday. Odd. Anyway, no photos of my own, but yesterday we saw Okkervil River and then Steve Martin with his banjo and bluegrass band. Good stuff, but just a warm-up for today. At noon, we sat down for a fantastic show by Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3. The 3 are Peter Buck (guitar), Scott McCaughey (bass) and Bill Riflind (drums) and they are great together with Robyn. I highly recommend seeing them and at least getting their latest album Goodnight Oslo. Here are some shots: Robyn Peter Peter, with Bill in the background Scott Jammin' Next up was Billy Bragg. Like Robyn Hitchcock, I have seen Billy play many times. He was in fine form and talking about universal healthcare and California's budget problems and playing Woodie Guthrie and all was well. Love that guitar. Spotted some local fauna as we moved to the next stage. My son took this shot: On to the Chieftans, who had many guests including the Mexican players and dancers who are featured in a recent album/shows. Sounded great, wasn't close or interested in getting closer to shoot the many pieces. While I took a break to take the boy home and check on my daughter, my wife and her sister checked out the 85 year old Earl Scruggs who was awesome, and Dr. Ralph Stanley and two or three generations of other Stanleys with the Clinch Mountain Boys. We have seen both several times and they are serious mountain musicians. Great stuff and I should have left the camera with her. Anyway, I came back for Neko Case and she did not disappoint. Really sounded great, bantered with the crowd and generally fawned over SF and the free festival with so many dogs in attendance. Good stuff and she will be back in November so I probably will pay to see her again. Last but not least, were Amadou & Miriam of Mali. They are great, and the fact that they are both blind and married makes their story even cooler. Great stuff, although the set change was brutally long and it was getting late. Another highly recommended live act, and their recordings are bitchin' too. You can't see it in the pictures so well, but Amadou's bad-ass Telecaster is shiny gold and he can play the crap out of it.
-
2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest & CanJam@RMAF
Not a single pic? Really? REALLY?
-
What are you listening to Part Two
The Decemberists -- Always the Bridesmaid - A Singles Series
-
What did you do today?
Look, who doesn't need a little glitter in their life? It was very cool of Nate, Ian and Stretch to make the trek westward and meet Jeff and me in Manch. It was a good time even though we didn't listen to any gear or really talk about it much at all. Wait, maybe it was good because of that. Thanks again fellas!
-
What are you listening to Part Two
The Avett Brothers -- I and Love and You This is a very nice new record in the alt country genre.