Need some help/opinions with stuff I found, mostly scotch

skullguise

I was at my mother's some time ago, and remembered that my stepfather (long since passed away) had some old liquor bottles in an armoir in her basement.

I found several botttles of scotch and one cognac there. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on them. Worth bringing to a H-C meet? smile.png

Literally, the only one I had ever heard of was Pinch....and the Ambassador is labelled the "lightest scotch in the world." The others are VAGUELY familiar, but most likely because I had seen them previously in the armoir.

Please take a look, and any thoughts/opinions appreciated. Going to do some innernet searches as well......

Thanks!

Todd.

post-1526-0-27667100-1326070533_thumb.jp

post-1526-0-47695700-1326070547_thumb.jp

post-1526-0-86568900-1326070561_thumb.jp

post-1526-0-50010600-1326070573_thumb.jp

post-1526-0-68432400-1326070583_thumb.jp

post-1526-0-08266300-1326070596_thumb.jp

post-1526-0-91842100-1326070604_thumb.jp

I'm not too sure when it comes to blended, but these all look interesting. I've drunk a number of different Ballantines single malts, and very fine they are too. The others I haven't heard of, and may be distilleries that are now defunct (many, many distilleries have died off over the years, some are mothballed and then start up again)

But all that looks really old (not that whisky ages while in the bottle), some of it maybe 60-odd years old, and very interesting indeed. Tell us what they taste like!

Craig

Those are some nice finds Todd.

Taking them in turn,

Pinch 12yo - Nice drinking scotch - good malt flavor with a touch of sweetness. Had it again in October against a recent bottling, I liked the older style a little better, touch more spice. I think that they used more malt in the blend than grain whisky back then.

Note: being that these are 4/5 quart, and have the tax seal, they are Bottled before 1980... So for a 12yo you are talking about whisky from the 60s.

Hudson's - I had this one years ago - I don't remember much about it. It was a good dram - but nothing really stood out about it. One of those Scotches that tasted like scotch. :)

Note2: being before 1980 as well, these also use the old definition of Proof, so 86 proof - what we would call today 43%, was in the old days 50%. (proof = 7/4abv)

Ambassador: - I know I have seen this label at a whisky gathering, but cannot remember trying - will have to check my pictures, and notes. "Lightest" - makes it sound like mostly lowland malts in the blend.

Note3: It is interesting looking at old bottles that some of the Importers don't exist anymore - or at least in their current capacity.

ah the Ballentines: Just a good drink, I like it better than current day releases. More Malt content in the Blend and higher ABV than today. I cannot see it in the picture, but I assume that this also has a tax seal as well. This one is fun to get a current bottle and have head to head.

Matrin's - Have not seen - but Want..! Very rare to see a 20yo blend back in the day.

Don't know the Cognac..

I would open and enjoy - and if you wish to share them around, would be most honored to sample..

Cheers,

Mikey

So

looking threw my images.. I found two...

Here is the Pinch bottle (worked over a bit), that I had in October.

waiMZ.jpg

We had it heads up with a newer 15yo...

7nRXS.jpg

Then to my surprise I found the Ambassador. I guess because this was the flask bottle I didn't recognize it. I don't know if yours has the 8yo deceleration on it as well.

Also being a 'light' whisky it may have gotten lost in my mind. I had it right after a White&Mackay blend that was pretty powerful. So I would try this one at the beginning of the evening or all alone. Subtle palate.

(note - different importer for this bottle as well, I think that yours maybe a bit older)

XZ5Co.jpg

Cheers,