HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

14 miles on the calfee tonight.  Route says only 400 ft of climbing, but most of it was in the last half mile (up the hill to my house).  It's the first time I've ever done a ride that started and ended at my house.  Minor fine tuning to be done to the bike.  It doesn't like the big ring in the back, so I think the limit screw is slightly too far in.  Seat needs to move a little back and up.  But all in all pretty comfortable.  Even spent part of the ride in the drops.  Averaged 13.7 mph, with a peak of almost 33.

• Like 1

Ugh, Glory Cycles is running a "secret" sale on the 2015 Dogma F8. Basically, I can get a complete bike with 2015 Campy Record sans wheels and saddle to drive the price down for just a touch over the price of the frameset. Plus there is no difference between the 2016 and 2015 models aside from the colorways.

Still an expensive bike but fairly close to the price of equivalent TOTL DuraAce builds for more common brands such as Spesh, Cannondale, Trek, etc. And the geo works great for me, nobody I know has geo that compares to their "44" which allows me to run a normal sized stem and more drop. 

With a long local and international vacation in less than a month, I cannot responsibly swing it. Oh well.

Link to gallery for pics to one of the two colorways available in my size:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glorycycles/sets/72157649191376897

Yeah, over time I've developed a slight dislike for Campy. I love the look of it but not a fan of thumb shifting, esp. from the drops with my tiny hands.

They can do DuraAce for $600 more but it's hard to swallow (not being Colin here) as Record should be more expensive not cheaper and it's even deeper into "I shouldn't buy this right now" territory. The advantage of doing the DuraAce deal is that the deal is not limited to the outgoing 2015 colors, it extends to 2015 colors not being phased out and possibly the new 2016 colors.

Yep, Ultegra Di2 is definitely one of the best values for gruppos out there right now. 

BTW, Stages 7900 powermeters on sale for $449. Actually something I'm likely to bite the bullet on. Question is, should I go down to 165mm from 170mm? Obviously, I'm gonna buy a matching 165mm crank if I do so but it looks like I can do any flavor of Shimano as long as it's one of the Hollowtech II ones.

http://store.stagescycling.com/stages-power-meter---dura-ace-7900-p2.aspx

That's a nice price. I'm probably either buying a Vector2 or Powertap P1 pedal based system. Probably the P1 but it's not available at my shop yet. No plans to replace my Quarq on the Calfee though so this is for the other bikes.

As far as crank goes I'd recommend shorter than 170 for a guy your size but if you are happy maybe not. Do you spin or do you grind more?

Definitely spin more than grind, I'm comfortable spinning 100-105 in a paceline spinning 2-3 gears easier than the grinders. Anything under 90 on the flats feels like I'm stalling out. I'm the kind of guy that'll probably never need anything bigger than 50x12, on our weekday night worlds sprint, I'll touch the 14 most times, 13 on a good day.

Confused on whether a shorter crank benefits a spinner or not. Will it make me overspin or will it make me spin more efficient?

Edited by raffy

13.5 miles today, but twice as much climbing as the last one.  It was more on the road than the rail trail this time as well.  I spent the whole time wanting to quit, so I guess that's a good thing (because I didn't).  

• Like 3

Does anyone have a Garmin Touring + that they'd be interested in swapping for my garmin 800?  I would find the dynamic maps more useful than the training stuff, since what I like doing is just going out and riding, rather than preplanning routes on the computer.

I never got a real fit on either the Kirk or Calfee, and as I'm starting to put in a couple hundred miles a week, I got both tweaked to perfection the other day by Freddie of F2 Performance Labs out of Miami, who was nice enough to make the trip up so I didn't have to deal with I-95 traffic post work.  Good news, other than I'm even more in love with both bikes, is that he turned me onto Solestar insoles.  With my problem feet, I've had five sets of insoles, including ones my podiatrist molded, and I was shocked on what a difference these made.  I'm trying out both the road and mountain bike, and I'm liking the mountain biking ones (I have demos).  They just feel a bit more stable, for lack of better words.  Bad news, for my wallet, is that he also turned me on to Bont Vaypor S shoes, which made my Sidi's feel like floppy, canvas Keds.  I'll be getting them in black.  At least I haven't bought any new bikes in a couple years  :angel:

Check these out. I swear they're worth it:  http://www.solestar.de

I miss riding with the Florida crew, but I'm having fun riding these days.  Feel good and strong.  Now to lose 30 pounds.........   :-

• Like 2