HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

The talon only weighs 1lb 8oz. With the reservoir it doesn't even hit 2lbs so it's not so bad. That being said, I've only hiked with the bag, never ridden a bike with it before so will give it a try. If it seems too cumbersome, I'll investigate these water bottles. 

I'm not sure the bike comes with the necessary tools but perhaps I misread the assembly instructions. The instructions made it seem like there were too many spots where a trained eye/hand was needed to get things right in terms of things being aligned a certain way. The last thing I'd want to do is damage it due to user error during the build process. If it were a lot more money, I'd probably have just done it myself. For around $50, I'd rather someone else do it and be responsible for errors. That being said, I do think it would be a lot more fun to do it myself. Hmm. 

You're going to need a multi-tool anyways. You can get by without a seat pack if you always have a backpack or something with you to carry your stuff in, but you need a tool, patch kit, spare tube, CO2 or mini-pump (or both.)

I got some Sugoi shorts a couple/3 years back for like, 17$. I checked to see and they're back up to 50-75$ now, but we can always find some deals somewhere. But yeah, bike shorts make a HUGE difference. I was almost in tears after 20 miles one ride when I was supposed to pick up new shorts at a ride, but they didn't come in, so I had to go without padding, and this was with tons of nerve damage. With some proper shorts, it's nothing.

CJ, I'd also recommend getting a lock if you can't take it inside with you to an office or something. You could easily build it yourself with a tool, but 50$ for pro assembly is a good deal, IMO. You can get the important stuff -- helmet, shorts, tool, pump, and patch kit -- for now, and add along as you go. I think the 14$ light set I linked is worth it, as was mentioned above, visibility in the daylight (there are still shadows + 80 year old drivers) is important.. Then, as far as building/maintenance, just do the adjustments yourself as you need them. That way it won't be as overwhelming, and you'll know from the start what it feels like to feel "right."

I'm excited for you, man. Also, pix. This thread has too few pix lately.

**BRENT**

WTF happened to DIY? For the $50-$130 or whatever they are quoting for building the bike, with the info available online, just do it yourself. You will probably do it much better than the disinterested LBS employee will, and save yourself enough to buy some shorts or whatever.

Brent: You are riding 23s? Not sure what you weigh, but I would think 25s minimum (and mixing is no problem), and I would probably be looking at 28s. I really like the Conti GP4 Seasons 700x28s I have (~$100/pair including tubes shipped from Wiggle). Built on a GP3000 casing, so feel good, durable, much better than Gatorskins in my opinion in both feel and grip, particularly when wet out. Run less pressure than 23s, have better feel and just as fast.

• Like 2

Pars, for CJ, I think 50$ is worth it for the time he'd have to invest while in med school; I believe that's largely the reason.

I've been on 23s because that's what came stock on my bike, and I haven't been in a position to spend $$$ to upgrade until I wear those tires out. The Vittorias wore well, and I didn't log enough miles, so still here.

I've definitely wanted to move up to 25s or 28s, but 100$ on stuff I don't necessarily need is tough to justify, when I hadn't even had a flat on these tires since I got the bike.

Bright side, I have a good trainer tire for this fall/winter.

**BRENT**

Edit: Pars, you said you don't know what I weigh. I've recently lost 39 pounds, but I'm still about 2x of the smaller/medium sized pro cyclists. I figure I'll go to 28s next year as long as finances allow.

Edited by MexicanDragon

15 hours ago, Pars said:

WTF happened to DIY? For the $50-$130 or whatever they are quoting for building the bike, with the info available online, just do it yourself. You will probably do it much better than the disinterested LBS employee will, and save yourself enough to buy some shorts or whatever.

<3

Shorts and a jersey. :D

Assuming size M....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271811672638

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281669387985

I would prolly take the fugly Primal over the fugly Canari but either works on those hot days when you're soaked thru after the first block.

and

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047DXB6Q

Problem is only one bike kit means doing a lot of laundry.

One week isn't horrible, I mean, you got free shipping, no tax, and 50% off. I wouldn't complain about that at ALL.

They probably won't let you try on shorts, as they are to be worn on bare skin; doesn't hurt to try, though. That said, 10% off is nothing for buying proper bike shorts. You're going to be looking at 45-90$ for shorts if you buy locally, with 10% off. Get a fabric measuring tape, measure, then look at charts online.

Jersey fit is going to be more varied than shorts fit, from what I've noticed.

**BRENT**

22 minutes ago, MexicanDragon said:

One week isn't horrible, I mean, you got free shipping, no tax, and 50% off. I wouldn't complain about that at ALL.

It's like you don't know me at all. I just took my second to last (last real final) of the year so the instant gratification monkey is waking up from its slumber. Also, Amazon's quick shipping has ruined me. 

Ps. It's a week for them to ship it. Then another 2-3 weeks in transit. Coming from China I guess. 

• Like 1

Best just to not even watch the tracking on anything over a week.

Anyhow.....Dicks is very good about returns but would not let my try on bike stuff at the Portage store. 

(bought the canari short linked above from there last summer and exchanged them for a smaller size after getting them home)

I just spent the past 2 hours swapping pedals, helping Xavier install his own cleats in his new shoes

(the 2014 version of this,) got the trainer all adjusted for a 650c bike, adjusted the pedals a click at a time to get him to be able to get in and out consistently. He has been wanting to get on the trainer for months, but we didn't since we were riding a good bit. Since he is trying out clipless, though, and we have a big ride on Wednesday, getting him on the trainer made a ton of sense. He's been going a good half hour for his "workout" and clipping in/out practice. He'll be tearing up the race circuit (which I need to look into) soon. I <3 this kid.

a2fb595af37277b62dc0f35fb0a6e885.jpg
**BRENT**

• Like 3

Called today to cancel the whole order with diamondback and they said they are going to ship the correct bike  today and I should have it on Thursday. The guy placed me on hold and arranged for tracking numbers. I'll believe it when I see a 40 lb box showing movement with the freight company. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grawk said:

That picture of him on the trainer makes it look like the bike's too small for him

He's probably grown 6 inches since we got it... in February. It was an HDR shot so the legs are going to be off.

Chris, what do you think about fitment? The height range for this bike goes up to 5', and he's still a bit under that. We tried out some stuff and the 650c/26x1 inch bikes were what fit best. It has a crazy short stem, and it's probably a bit more upright, but he feels comfortable on it. I'm wondering if the crank arms are a little long, though.

**BRENT**

Cool, sounds like Diamondback stopped being cheap and did the right thing.

And as far as the little person bike fit goes.

My first impression is the saddle needs to go up and the nose (of the saddle) needs to go down..

Got a yardstick?

Lean it against the window so we have a vertical reference and take another picture.

So Specialized is running a May offer at their LBSes. BOGO Free on the tires below. Those S-Works Turbos in 26c for 55$ seems like a great deal for a pair; or maybe a fat All Condition Armadillo Elite for the tough-on-tires crowd for the same 55$. Espoir Elite are 35$ for 2; Roubaix Pro for 40$ for 2.

56d04f8d5a93fa2bcf9146989845d67b.jpg

**BRENT**