HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Bike is put together. Took me a couple of hours to do it properly (getting the front wheel centered, getting tight tolerance around the disc brakes etc). Have not really played with any fitting measurements - tomorrow perhaps. Not sure how I can fine tune the gears without a bike stand but I'll see if I can do it with the bike upside down. It's a lot lighter than all the bikes I've had in the past. I'm sure all the fancier ones everyone else has are even lighter. It looks like in person. I'm happy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyjones123 said:

Bike is put together. Took me a couple of hours to do it properly (getting the front wheel centered, getting tight tolerance around the disc brakes etc). Have not really played with any fitting measurements - tomorrow perhaps. Not sure how I can fine tune the gears without a bike stand but I'll see if I can do it with the bike upside down. It's a lot lighter than all the bikes I've had in the past. I'm sure all the fancier ones everyone else has are even lighter. It looks like in person. I'm happy. 

Pix or it didn't happen.

**BRENT**

CJ, I know some people who use the Lemond setup for saddle height. Grab a book, or a level if you have it, and then put that up to the groin area with about the firmness you'd feel sitting on the bike. Take this measurement (inseam) and multiply by .883.

This should give you the approximate seat height from the center of the crank arm spindle (bottom bracket) to the top of the seat, measures along the angle of the seat post.

It may seem a little high, but you've probably been riding too low for most of your life (most people have.)

If you don't have a stand, try hanging the bike by the front of the seat over a sturdy tree limb. Not ideal, but you should be OK for some light tinkering.

Does it look as good in person as it did online?

**BRENT**

I like Santini clothing a lot. A pro supplier to teams. I have 2 pair of these shorts and like them. You can catch them at even better deals at times as well. I also have a pair of their Top CX (non gel) bibs.

Edited by Pars

Got on the bike for a few minutes earlier. Felt really really wobbly. Don't remember ever feeling that unsafe. Especially at low speeds. I guess it is expected after not having ridden a bike for so long. Hopefully it improves over the next few days - going to keep going around the apartment complex and avoid roads until I can control the bike at all speeds. 

Will look into it Marshall. Going to make tweaks slowly one at a time so I know which variable does what. 

Brent, online the grey looked a lot flatter. In person it is slightly glossier but I like it. 

Whats the difference between a $30 pair of shorts and $60 pair of shorts? Why on earth are these things so damn expensive? 

Just went out and rode for ~30 minutes. Less wobbly than yesterday. Still really wobbly if I hold the handle bar with just one hand. Still have too much pressure on my hands. Bike seat feels like it is too far forward. I'm starting to feel like a bike fitting at a LBS might be worth it. Will try tweaking it myself but I think it will end up with me going to the store anyways. Also couldn't find myself being able to bend my elbows as it required me to bend down too far and then my thighs kept hitting my belly. After 30 minutes today and 15 minutes yesterday, my butt and adductors are sore as hell. 2 canari velo gel shorts ordered from nashbar.com. They had a 20% off coupon for today. 

Raised the seat about 3/4" and angled the nose down. Led to a far more comfortable ride. Still have too much pressure on my hands. Did 6 miles today in about an hour. Helmet came in along with bike shorts and holy crap do they make a huge difference in terms of comfort. Of course the pressure points are still there but not nearly as noticeable. Don't have any post ride fatigue. Too the bike out on streets behind my school on a 6 mile loop. Felt a lot more comfortable on the road today in terms of the bike going straight and well, just having a helmet on my head went a ways towards making me feel slightly safer. 

2 problems I noted on the ride today - too much weight on my hands. My feet are too wide (I wear a 10.5 4E shoe). I feel like the pedal is not wide enough and I keep finding myself moving my foot in to the point where the back of my shoe is hitting the lower forks on either side. 

How does one find the balance between gears? I find myself pedaling and then coasting and then pedaling again followed by coasting due to my legs tiring (I guess this is a conditioning issue). If I use an easier (is that higher or lower?) gear (one that requires less effort), I feel like my legs go too fast and then I go out of breath eventually. 

The sprockets on the Shimano HG200 (Acera, 9 speed) 11-34 cassette are specified as being:

11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34T

A 12-25 cassette will have...

12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k9.shtml

A replacement cassette will run about $30

No need for a new chain with that few miles....

But will need a chain tool, lock ring removal tool and a chain whip to swap the cassette. 

May be better to let the LBS handle that, which is not all bad because it sounds like you also need a longer stem. 

Got my Jamis back yesterday after having my LBS swap out the stock seat & brifters with a Brooks B17, some Shimano bar-end friction/index shifters, & shiny new Origin8 Classique Sport brake levers & hoods. Also put back a set of Wellgo combo pedals I had prior to the racing-style clipless pedals I've used for the past several seasons.

Taking the steel-framed Jamis out today felt great, and all the oldschool-like parts played well together:

friction shifters.jpg

Brooks B17.jpg

Wellgo pedals.jpg

Edited by jpelg
  • Like 1

https://www.strava.com/activities/577427136

Need to find some place with no traffic lights. They really were starting to get on my nerves half way through. Just when I would get into a comfortable position or any type of rhythm I'd end up at a red light. 

Was pretty hot outside this afternoon. Rode with the osprey and geigerrig hydration bladder and my upper back is kinda sore so ordered some water bottles to be attached to the frame. Also ordered a rack to attach to my car so I can go to some place without as many traffic lights. @tyrion do you know any spots around davie?