HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Xavier and I got 17.42 miles in today, which was our longest ride together. I wound up finding the puncture and it was next to the rim tape... some sharp scratches. I don't see how he could have done THAT damage, with nothing in the tire at all, but shit happens. Showed him how to replace a tube/tire (without levers, but in the comfort of home and better lighting, and a floor pump) and we were off. He did great! We probably should have pushed to 20 miles just to say we did 20, but we had about a 1 mile gradual climb to end it, and it gets a bit steep for him (for now) just before home. He walked, and I rode slowly beside him until he could hop back on when it plateaued. Had a blast, and we should be able to get another few miles in tomorrow after school.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1121017927

**BRENT**

• Like 10

17.59 miles today. 35 since Sunday! He had a pretty bad fall, but has a story and a cool scar now.

It was a shop ride and we did the long one in the slower/15 MPH group. My watch doesn't auto pause so again, we were moving faster than 11.3 MPH the entire time. Xavier totally was out riding the older kid on a CAAD5 Cannondale. He's a boss. The ride leader is a shop employee. He didn't see the crash but he rode back and helped look over the bike. He later rode up and said to leave the bike with him overnight and he'll tune it up and make sure it's in good shape after the crash. Didn't buy from these guys, and have only spent 10$ with them in my life. We have 5-7 solid bike shops in town, and they are all fucking great. So lucky, shop wise.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1124976755

Edit: at dinner we looked at his Garmin. He's done just shy of 100 miles in the past month and change. That's awesome.

**BRENT**

• Like 5

So Xavier has been interested in clip less pedals after seeing everyone else on them, including a kid a little older and a bit slower than him ride them. A shop guy riding sweeper was telling me that he looked super comfortable on his bike, and recommended I think clipless for him at some point.

I have some M530 (SLX level mountain pedals with cage) SPD pedals he can use, so we went by the shop that gave him the free post-crash tuneup (which included truing the wheel) and looked for shoes. We wound up finding a women's road shoe that fit sizing wise, but no MTB shoes in his size. We checked the computer and found some 2014 Rime shoes, originally 180$, on sale for 19$. We went ahead and got his current size and the next size up. He's super excited.

**BRENT**

• Like 1

New tops for my old Polar bottles may be just what the doctor ordered. 

https://shop.polarbottle.com/polar-bottle-shop/polar-bottle-zipstream-cap/

Or at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B5E7IGS

(the Polar Face Book page sez; "Send us your fave photo featuring your current Polar Bottle to receive a 50% off code for the new ZipStream line.")

I'm currently on the VIttoria Rubino Pro, and it's the only thing I've had experience with in years.

I have a buddy offering a set of Mavic Yksion Pro Powerlink/Griplink in 700x25c for 50$ locally, and he brought them to work. LBS has a Vittoria Rubino Pro in a 25c (I'm running 23c now) for 25$ on clearance, but would be mismatched sizes.

84$ for GP4000s online I see, and some Pro4s for 62$.

Heh, while I was typing this buddy got in touch. We talked a bit and he said "how about we do 30$ for the tires, bike club discount." That, well, I can't pass up.

**BRENT**

CJ, what are you wanting the bike for? Actual mountain biking or just getting around?

**BRENT**

Just getting around. There are a few trails within biking distance from me. Only reason I asked is because I got an email from my school saying they had some sort of a deal with diamondback that offered some of the bikes at 40% off and some road bikes for 50% off. If anyone is interested, feel free to pm me - I can't give you the account information as I have to use my school login to get onto the website but I can purchase something for you and have it shipped directly to you if you like. $480 was about as much as I was willing to spend on a bike only if I were getting a pretty good deal as I doubt I'll be doing anything close to the mileage you guys are doing. A road bike is well out of my budget. I don't have any particular reason for going after this bike other than they offer a 40% discount off the listed price on their website. Anything else on their website you'd recommend Brent? Most pavement and the occasional weekend trail. I will not be tinkering with the bike at all - no upgrades planned. 

Xavier has a Diamondback that we got at 45% off. It was definitely worth that $$$.

I definitely would NOT recommend that particular bike for you. Let me look around. Hit me up on FB later tonight (after 8?) and I can definitely find you something.

BTW, define "trail" in your mind. Is it more "multi-use trail" or "gravel/dirt path" or "'mountain biking' *wink wink nudge nudge* in *chuckles* Florida"

Also, don't judge my knowledge of bike stuff by the video mike posted a few years ago of me on a mtn bike. I couldn't even watch it; I knew how bad it was.

**BRENT**

There is no elevation here that you guys have up north. Markham Park and Oleta River State Park both have "trails." If you google the names, pictures of the trails come up. As I said, it will most likely be used to go to school/hospital. Weekend rides at the state parks or other similar geographic places. They have some city bikes for a little less money as well. Apparently the 40% off is site wide. The road bikes alone are 50% off. 

I tried that fixie someone posted about a long time ago at Walmart and maybe it was the fact that I had not ridden a bike in a very long time or maybe the seat was just horrible but that's been my biggest issue with bikes until now - butt pain. I don't ride long enough anymore where chafing would be an issue. Used to have a road bike growing up in India that I rode up and down the mountain side for ~12 - 15 km every day between school, tutoring, after school sports. Chafing was an issue then but it was a small mountain town and you just dealt with it. There were no bike shorts or special clothes. 

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-road-bikes-performance-hybrid-insight-series-insight-2

$400 at Amazon for one with a 20" frame. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013RIQ5UU

Looks like a better option then the mushy crap that is the Recoil.

The drive-train on the Insight 3 is quite a bit better but it would cheaper to do those upgrades yourself.....

There is no elevation here that you guys have up north. Markham Park and Oleta River State Park both have "trails." If you google the names, pictures of the trails come up. As I said, it will most likely be used to go to school/hospital. Weekend rides at the state parks or other similar geographic places. They have some city bikes for a little less money as well. Apparently the 40% off is site wide. The road bikes alone are 50% off. 

I tried that fixie someone posted about a long time ago at Walmart and maybe it was the fact that I had not ridden a bike in a very long time or maybe the seat was just horrible but that's been my biggest issue with bikes until now - butt pain. I don't ride long enough anymore where chafing would be an issue. Used to have a road bike growing up in India that I rode up and down the mountain side for ~12 - 15 km every day between school, tutoring, after school sports. Chafing was an issue then but it was a small mountain town and you just dealt with it. There were no bike shorts or special clothes. 

TLDR.

Something about Money chafing Walmart.

There's a very nicely equipped size M, TCR C3 on eBay for $650 but they think it's an 05. :rolleyes:

$500 for the Century is a no brianer.

Add another $500 for lights. hydration, helmet, apparel, shoes, pedals, computer, tools, bag and a better saddle. 

Better make that $800 for the accessories.

56 minutes ago, Mister X said:

There's a very nicely equipped size M, TCR C3 on eBay for $650 but they think it's an 05. :rolleyes:

$500 for the Century is a no brianer.

Add another $500 for lights. hydration, helmet, apparel, shoes, pedals, computer, tools, bag and a better saddle. 

Better make that $800 for the accessories.

As I told brent, I shall be sticking to the $500 hard limit. I have an osprey talon 22 bag with a 3L geigerrig reservoir that I'll be using for water duty. Most likely get a cheap bag just to hold the hydration bag down the road if needed. Don't plan on riding at night - florida drivers are bad enough during the day so can get by without lights in the near future. Helmet, sure. Don't need apparel, shoes, pedals, computers, better saddle (right now). Will likely grab tools from DB when I buy the bike as they are 40% off as well. 

LBS quoted me $50/$130 to build the bike. They quoted me $150/$75 to adjust the bike to me lol. Thought about going to one place to get it built and the other to get it fitted but the cheaper fitting place only offers the fitting at that price if I get it built there as well. I think I'll be doing the fitting at home. Sent Mike a message to ask him for input on LBS but no response yet. 

Was trying to stay under $600 all in and it seems like it just might happen. Perhaps not in HC style but I am happy I resisted the urge to keep extending my budget as has happened in the last. I don't pay any taxes or shipping on the bike so if I feel the need to jump up to a better bike, I can sell the century for a minor loss and move up. 

• Like 1

I have an osprey talon 22 bag with a 3L geigerrig reservoir that I'll be using for water duty.

Sounds heavy and an unnecessary way to drive up your core temp to me but I deliberately choose to use the word hydration so that it may apply whatever solution you like. :)

FWIW the current promo at the feed is a free Nuun bottle and two Nuun hydration single serves with $20 purchase.

https://thefeed.com/product/nuun-hydration-kit/

The $20 purchase is a bit of a monkey wrench but they do offer some nice insulated bottles. 

Most likely get a cheap bag just to hold the hydration bag down the road if needed.

My bad, I should have been more specific.

Seat bag.

Tools would be the items that go into the seat bag. 

For me the items are a spare tube, a tube repair kit, a co2 inflator, spare cartridge for said inflator, a hand pump, a lezyne multi tool, a mini medical emergency kit, handy wipes, gloves, a rag, a little bottle of chain lube, a missing link, a disposable phone and a little bottle of chamois cream.

Don't plan on riding at night - florida drivers are bad enough during the day so can get by without lights in the near future.

Riding at night = double lights. ;)

Lights = awareness. 

Even on bright days.....they are one of those easy things you can add to help put space between those drivers and you.

Don't need apparel, shoes, pedals, computers, better saddle (right now).

I would strongly suggest at least some liner shorts for now.

The M Gel liner shorts are pretty decent for the price. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052R5JV6

Regarding assembly.

There's not much there to assemble and the required tools should be in the box. 

Maybe a book and take a shot at DIYing it ?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/193771537X

(Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance)

May could prevent you from running to the LBS because you did something stupid like improperly adjusting the rear mech and it ate the spokes.