The Multi Amp aka Dynalo Mk2

spritzer

My build drives my LCD2 (50 ohm impedance) as well as I have heard them. I configured mine to run on lower voltage rails (16V ) so I can raise the output current.

Don't have other ortho cans so cannot comment on how it may work on vintage orthos.

Can someone explain to me if a SuSy feedback arrangement work with a single ended input? For example I want to run this amp as a HP amp and preamp that accepts single ended and balanced inputs. If I use it for single ended then there is no feedback loop coming from the other half. 

KG, if you are listening, thanks for your design, Dynalo is my favourite to date, I've built a few now and I really like this amp. Which of your designs is your favourite amp for non ES cans?

You really should use better sockets for the opamps and I presume the THAT340 that one you have there (those are junk).

Mill-Max or equivalent machine pin sockets

575-193308 for the 8 pin

575-193314 for the 14 pin

are good ones.

Edited by Pars

You really should use better sockets for the opamps and I presume the THAT340 that one you have there (those are junk).

Mill-Max or equivalent machine pin sockets

575-193308 for the 8 pin

575-193314 for the 14 pin

are good ones.

Thanks for the heads up, I was trying to recycle some leftover parts since the boards were on the cheap and the case is free. What makes these sockets better than the standard fare?

Machine pin sockets like Mill-Max, Augat, etc. hold the IC pins much more securely than the type you are using. When I was a tech back in the '80s I spent a lot of time reseating chips in the kind of sockets you are using; once reseated, equipment back in business (for another day or so). Sockets are so cheap you might as well use good ones. Kevin commented on this in post 95, parts list using 571-1825093-3.

Series%20111.JPG  vs. pr3268009d.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I just used the last of my sockets so I'll buy a few during the next mouser order. I'm not sure it's worth reworking the board for the servos. The input bipolar socket looks like it has the round receptacles you're picturing

yep, how I did that I do not know.

it was still possible to build that board, you had to bend the pins and

solder all the parts that were not the output devices standing up

and backwards.

a lot of clean up and various traces on both sides the same exact

length just for extra fun. and some ground plane on the bottom.

new version

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgdynalobal7.jpg

Edited by kevin gilmore

Listened to my multiamp a bit yesterday and this morning. I seem to have a slight channel imbalance, using SE inputs with the L/R- inputs tied to ground. Swapping the input and output cabling around, it seems to be the pot that is causing the problem. The R channel is slightly louder than the left. Measuring the pot, this is what I get at the approximate rotation I was using for listening:

L+	L-	R+	R-
pot				
total	9.884	9.707	9.721	9.811
3/4 rot	5.714	5.768	5.643	5.776
%	57.81%	59.42%	58.05%	58.87%

This doesn't seem off that much (57.81% vs. 58.05%). All figures in K ohms. Output taken to ground. Any thoughts? It seems worse at lower volumes and gets a bit better at higher volumes, though going much beyond 3/4 rotation gets louder than I care to listen to.

I've checked resistances some on the cabling from input through the pot, and I didn't find any bad solder joints or anything yet.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Pars

Thanks GT and Kevin. I could always pull the opamps for what GT is saying. I could also just measure it on RMAA (I think my Audiophile 24/96 will do balanced?).

Not only for L/R channel balance, but what effect do pot imbalances have regarding +/- channels? I would certainly think some as well, but not sure how that manifests itself.

I wonder if Birgir has any of the 4CP-601 TKD pots he'd be willing to part with?

Also, I recall the thing you can do to a 2 channel pot to use it for 4-channel, but it seems that only typically works on certain types of inputs?

EDIT: No on my m-audio box doing balanced

Edited by Pars