The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

I seem to remember something like this in Minority Report,..

Anyway, maybe this will keep archivists from having to copy everything over and over.

If you get tired of reading the slow text scrolling, just hit this link for the Cliff Notes:

http://petapixel.com/2016/02/16/glass-disc-can-store-360-tb-photos-13-8-billion-years/

Edited by ironbut
  • Like 1

Now that is interesting.  It comes out of the the Optical Research Centre (ORC) at Southampton University.  I did my research work there in the late 70's in the precursor to the ORC - the Laser Physics group.  The ORC was formed when that group (around 10 people) merged with the Fibre Optic group (about the same size).  It is now a global leader is just about everything photonic.  Led by Dave Payne, who I knew as a research fellow in '77 and is now Professor Sir David Neil Payne CBE FRS FREng - a real academic heavy hitter.

Pity he didn't do Geordie, from around Newcastle.  One of the most difficult accents to do if you don't come from there.

Scan though this; close similarities to the Scandinavian languages from the invaders who populated the North East coast of England and Scotland following the invasions in the 800's.  There are parts of this in English with a Geordie accent, and bits poetry in true Geordie and Northumrbian.

There is also a sub-dialect called Pitmatic, which was spoken by coalminers.  Almost died out now because of the decline in coalmining in the North East, but my grandfather, a lifelong coalminer spoke a lot of pitmatic, so my native dielect (when I turn it on, rather than Geordie with and English accent) tends towards pitmatic.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 1