Your recent music purchases

deepak

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, my contact (and new BFF) ordered two of everything and decided he only needed one set so I get the second set. I had been kicking myself for the past couple of months for not getting in on the set from the beginning so now I have been given a second chance. I guess I lucked out this time.

Oh, and JP#s is my enabler too. :laugh:

Redbook CDs (most of these were acquired for RMAF - and will be acquiring more next month) ;)

AC/DC - Back in Black

Dream Theater - Awake

Eric Clapton - Unplugged

Esthero - Breath From Another

Imogen Heap - Speak For Yourself

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV [ZOSA]

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Mogwai - Mr. Beast

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Smoke City - Flying Away (trip-hop)

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Steely Dan - Aja

The Blue Nile - Hats (pop/rock)

The Clash - London Calling

Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall

Tool - Lateralus

If anyone has any recs for mainstream & highly popular metal or industrial bands btw, I'm all ears (I'm only familiar with Type O Negative). Or blues or soul for that matter. So far I've only dug into rock and jazz.

eMusic Downloads (last set - will be cancelling my membership now) (all electronica as usual)

Atrium Carceri - Souyuan

Circular - Nanotopia

James Bernard - New Life

Lusine ICL - Freak EP

Lusine ICL - Language Barrier

Mind Soup - Love Songs For Gifted Children

Peace Orchestra - Peace Orchestra

Sounds From The Ground - Thru The Ages

Thomas Fehlmann - Lowflow

• 4 weeks later...

CD batch #2 (of 3) mostly for RMAF:

A Fine Frenzy - Bomb in a Birdcage

Allen Toussaint - The Bright Mississippi

Andre Cluytens & Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - Beethoven: Les 9 Symphonies

Charles Mackerras & Scottish Chamber Orchestra - Schubert: Symphony No. 9 "The Great" & Symphony No. 8 "Unfinished"

Georg Solti & Wiener Philharmonic Orchestra - Mozart: Requiem K626

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Seiji Ozawa & Boston Symphony Orchestra - Vivaldi: The Four Seasons

The Beatles - Abbey Road (2009 Stereo Remaster)

The Beatles - Revolver (2009 Stereo Remaster)

The Beatles - The White Album (2009 Stereo Remaster)

Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra - Johann Strauss: The Best of Vienna [Maazel/Boskovsky/Bohm/Karajan/Abbado]

Highly popular mainstream metal or industrial albums:

Slayer - Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power, Far Beyond Driven

Ministry - Psalms 69 (The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs)

NIN - Broken, The Downward Spiral

Metallica - all through s/t, skip to Death Magnetic

Megadeth - all through Countdown to Extinction

Sepultura - all through Chaos A.D.

to me "mainstream" industrial ended with The Downward Spiral, and most of the good "mainstream" metal was 80s / 90s. the above is a horrendously incomplete list, am on iPhone.

not sure if I consider current contemporary favs mainstream. Opeth, Mastodon, etc.

If anyone has any recs for mainstream & highly popular metal or industrial bands btw, I'm all ears (I'm only familiar with Type O Negative). Or blues or soul for that matter. So far I've only dug into rock and jazz.

I dunno what you already have, so sorry if these are too obvious.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid, S/T, (or any of their first 6 albums really) Heaven & Hell, The Mob Rules (these are both with Dio, which is different but equally awesome)

Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast, Powerslave

Dio - Holy Diver

I think Sabbath is even more important than most people realize... it's amazing how many of their songs have seemingly spawned entire subgenres of metal,

oh no sir, you misunderstand! I was responding to Asr's above request for popular mainstream metal/industrial releases. I've had all those albums forever.
Good catch, I didn't even see that part of the post. Could probably make this a whole separate thread, but I won't unless there are enough posts to merit it.

The definitive electro-industrial album to have, if you have no other -- I have to agree with Dark Angel about this -- is Skinny Puppy, Singles Collect. I think it's no coincidence that this is one of my top 3 favorite groups of all time. Yes, really, even with the brapping.

Metal Industrial Crossover -- Nine Inch Nails, Broken is a good place to start -- also Pretty Hate Machine was a launching point for a lot of us at the time. I also really dig The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste by Ministry (as well as Land of Rape and Honey).

"Industrial" will always garner arguments, as there are at least 3 different styles with that name. There's the Wax Traxy dance industrial done all on synthesizers and sequencers -- and Skinny Puppy; there's the metal industrial crossover stuff, and there's the old school (early Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle, etc.). There was even a metal label who called a lot of their acts as "industrial", though it didn't really sound machine-like to my ears at all. So after you listen to some, tell us which you really like and want to hear more of.

Will post about metal later.

Thanks for the music recs postjack, hungrych, & Dusty, much appreciated. I'll check all those out at some point.

And CD batch #3 of 3 for RMAF (mostly, a few exceptions). Whew. I think I have all my bases covered now. I'll eat my shirt if anyone shows up that can't find something to listen to. :P

Dave Brubeck - Time Out [50th Anniversary Legacy Edition]

Diana Krall - Live in Paris

Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I

Linda Ronstadt - Prisoner in Disguise [MFSL]

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue [Legacy Edition] (should've noticed the Legacy Edition before :palm:)

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue [Audio Fidelity Gold]

Pristina - Stars and Sirens

Porcupine Tree - The Incident

The Ditty Bops - Moon Over The Freeway (got this one awhile back, cool stuff for anyone into alt/indie-pop)

Yes - Fragile [MFSL]

• 2 weeks later...