2014 Tour de Cure - Orlando

raffy

I've signed up again for this year's Tour de Cure on March 16. As you may already know, this is a cause that's near and dear to me as I have some friends and family who have diabetes. . That being said, I'd like to reach out to the gang once again for donations.....any amount, no matter how small is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all the support!

Donation link:

https://donations.diabetes.org/site/Donation2?idb=0&df_id=13362&FR_ID=9282&PROXY_ID=8379734&PROXY_TYPE=20&13362.donation=form1

Training rides have been going on for about 6 weeks now and everything is actually going pretty well conditioning wise. I was initially aiming for the 70 mile ride but I feel like I have an outside chance of doing the century. I've been riding a lot indoors on my trainer for the past 3 weeks and I really feel like that is helping me out a lot as far as building endurance :)

Edited by raffy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for everyone's generous donations! Training has been going really well and I think I will go for the century this year :) I'm skipping this weekend's long training to hang out for Hunahpu's day but I think I can get some more training indoors or solo outside. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Successfully did my first century yesterday (102 mile actually) at 18.5 mph average!!! It was brutal with 15-25 mph winds almost all day; I'm really glad I survived. In fact, I soloed home ahead of my team as we had a straight headwind for the last 8-10 which blew apart the group into a million pieces. The key was following the biggest riders I could find :)

Thanks again for everyone who has supported me both by donations and by words of encouragement! Feels really good to not only complete my first century but to help a worthy cause. Cheers gang! :dan:

• Like 1

Oh yeah I definitely rode more smart than strong since it was my first century. Our team was very organized but we kept on attracting wheel suckers who would just jump in, create small gaps just to wait for their homies. Very annoying but a lot of them were big riders so I decided to just follow the biggest wheels I can that weren't getting gapped. I didn't pull as much as I usually do but that was by design.

I'm starting to learn that the key to riding distances that may be beyond your means is to use your head in making up the shortcomings in condition. I was by no means the strongest rider in my group but the energy I saved in the first 70 miles really helped me in the end. Feels really good when you're part of a group that slowly gets splintered but make it to the end :)