Head Case Water Sports

VPI

Wanted to start a thread for those of us that are interested in the water and those things you can do around, under or on it.

Not sure if there are a lot of HC'ers that partake but should be a good place to discuss if there are.

Video from today's paddle on the Potomac.

Nice Jeff! 

I would really like to get a kayak!  The bay here is only about 1/2 hour away.  I really wanted to learn how to windsurf this summer but I it doesn't look like I'll get to a point where my shoulder/biecp will be able to handle it.  Kayaking seems a lot more doable (after a couple more months of rehab).   

Kayaking is really quite fun and an excellent workout.  I have gotten most of the gear together to be able to spend some time on the kayak and fish, maybe even tour and camp.  Getting it to the water is the most difficult part of it all but the DC area has tons of great places to paddle.  I think I am going to go out and paddle the battleship graveyards at Mallows Bay next.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallows_Bay

Hoping to work on the fishing and kayaking skills this weekend out on the lake.  Anyone here besides Chris have any fishing skills?  I have not done it forever but I picked up two St. Croix poles and a Lew's Baitcaster and a Penn Spinning reel that I am still working on some semblance of a usable cast.

I did find that I have a full fishing channel on Fios.  The hosts are annoying as hell but I have picked up some interesting pointers at least.

You would think so looking at what terrible shape these TV fishermen are in, but evidently they try to catch stuff.  I am beginning to wonder if there are scuba divers under water hooking giant fish onto their lines as they never seem to have a cast that does not bring back a fish.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Cool. Mumm 36s are sweet.

I used to sail a lot (took a swing at an Olympic campaign in the Finn) but I moved on to cycling about 5 years ago and have only raced/sailed a few times since. I had really stopped 2 years prior but kept up appearances by having a lightning for 2 years that I sailed 3/4 times.

I have no plans to sail anywhere beyond the small lake where we have a place but I do look somewhat longingly at Washington Sailing Marina as I drive by on week days. Sailing enough to race competitively just doesn't fit into the schedule I have these days. Cycling is much better from that perspective and keeps me fitter too.

Edited by Dreadhead

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...