Head Case Water Sports

VPI

I was looking at the Hobie Mirage Outback kayak – this year's model has kick-up fins (on the foot paddle drive) that fold when you hit shallow stuff:

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-outback/#

It's meant for kayak fishing but I thought it would be useful for regular, non-competitive kayaking too. I didn't even know such products existed until I searched for kayaks a few weeks ago.

Here's the longer Revolution 16 with turbo fin speed test (vs. paddle):

• Like 1

I have the Pro Angler 14 from Hobie.  Probably bigger than you want to mess with unless you want to fish and take people out on the boat with you as it hold 600lbs.  Outback or even the less aggressive models would be awesome as a do everything kayak.

I can cruise at over 7mph into the wind with ease and the pedals do not get clogged up with weeds like 99% of the other pedal kayaks on the market.

If you want a real boat then Boston Whaler for midsize or Christensen for big ones I can recommend as I used them down in the Bahamas.

• Like 2

The Outback looks kinda overkill. What the next step down would you say? I definitely like the stacking aspect, is that something that is usually standard? I would like to find a way to organize a few of these and a small removable sailboat (butterfly?) into a slip. So, larger is okay, I won’t be hauling them.

• 1 month later...

I ended up picking a Laser and a Hobie. Mirage Oasis Tandem. I will be storing the sailboat on a Seitech dolly, but looking for a way to store the kayak.

I am not sure whether to do a wall mount rack or something on the floor. I likely will end up with two more single kayaks - so some rack system would be nice. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Yeah, we did not have anything that large. 1 12 footer and 2 10 footers. The 12 footer weighs about 75 pounds so we used to put it on the bottom but it is now on the top since both the ladder and SUP are used more. Works fine but I’m not sure I would want to wrestle the Hobie onto the top rack. It is actually a floor standing rack since we had very little wall space open with all of the cabinets in the garage.

• 1 month later...

I decided to go custom :) I'll get some pictures after I ensure all my fingers are intact. I ordered some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K4CTYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

on Amazon to work with my drill press to make some holes with this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0061J5B2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure if Nate has prior claim with anyone cutting holes, or if that just applies to woodworkers. 

Oh .. and this:

_bixpy_outboard_kit_new_blue_lights__831

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get mostly round holes lined up. These two holes will have bolts and room in the larger hole to accommodate a 15/16” deep socket. I tested them out this weekend and they hold the heavy tandem kayak well. I am going to build a second level with another pair of hooks. Pretty pleased so far. Now just need to avoid mistakes for the smaller holes :)

Also, this alloy seems to be considerably harder than what I have used in the past. This is 6063. All my previous circle hole cutting has been 6061. With this, is the carbide saw is the tool of choice. The wood-working bit was a bit... “scary” (though it did produce a cleaner hole)

75DB8071-32A8-440A-BFEA-B7B4C04CB852.thumb.jpeg.e938e8442a80633692e3ff49023603fc.jpeg

experiment on scrap:

9A111B59-DE4F-4244-AF8F-74F51C053B79.jpeg

No luck with a Punch.... or I am just not strong enough. This is 1/8” wall.

Edited by luvdunhill
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...